Why I Am More Grateful for the Holidays as I Have Gotten Older

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Now that I am getting older and I don’t live at home all the time anymore, I think I understand the phrase “distance makes the heart grow fonder”. Being away from my family has made me all too aware of the fact that life is not as simple as it was when I was a little kid. We all have busy lives and don’t have the luxury of being with each other as often anymore. I don’t think I ever truly stopped to think about how special that was when I was growing up. Over the years I spent so much time complaining about my parents or my brothers, and I rarely stopped to appreciate how lucky I was to have that time with them. 

When it came to the holidays, I used to care so much about presents and what was under the tree. Granted most kids usually do, but I didn’t ever look around at how blessed I was. I look back now and see what really mattered. What matters to me now is spending time with the people I love, even if it means just sitting and talking over a home-cooked meal. I have realized that life is far too short, and we have to make each moment count. Coming together for the holidays is so special because it is a time for everyone to gather and spend time with each other. I can remember being in middle school and only paying attention to what gift I was getting for Christmas. Then high school came around, and while I still cared about presents, I realized how happy it made me to battle my family and friends in trivia games at our holiday party, or watch a cheesy Hallmark movie with my mom. By the end of high school though, all I really wanted for the holidays was to be around my family. 

You realize as the years go on, you don’t get that time back. There were so many years where my whole family spent so much time together and I never thought twice about it. But, as the years have passed, that time has slipped away. Long gone are the many days spent playing video games with my brothers, or fighting over what we get to watch on TV. Now we are grown up and have busy lives, and don’t see each other everyday anymore. It makes my heart so full just to spend the holiday with them – talking and laughing and living in the moment. 

The holidays are a time for everyone to come together and enjoy each other’s company. As I’ve gotten older, I have noticed how quickly life goes by. It is important not to take these times for granted – hug your loved ones, appreciate the time you have with them. The older we get, the less time we have to spare to just relax with our families and friends. I know that I will be taking advantage of every moment spent with the people I love this holiday season, and I hope you do too.

Hi there! My name is Hailee, and I am currently a student at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. I hope you like my page!
Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.