Why Central Park Is My Favorite Place

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

This is going to sound corny and basic but I don’t care. I love Central Park. Central Park has always been there for me—not like in a weird way, but if I want to have a walk, I got to the park. If I want to relax, park. If I want to hang out with friends, park. If I just want to be alone and escape, park.

It’s a lifesaver for me. For everyone else, it may be seen as that one park everybody goes to—the tourists, the people on break, the artists, the bubble guy, the couples, just everybody—but it’s so much more than that. The tourists go there because of the many beautiful sites this park has. Walk by the fountain to see brides taking their wedding pictures, walk by the Jacqueline Onassis Reservoir to see the runners getting their morning run in, walk by the lawns to see people getting their tans on, walk by the boathouse and see the couples rowing away, walk by the playgrounds to see all the children play—okay, maybe refrain from doing these in a creepy way. Walk anywhere to see a dog being walked, a kid getting ice cream, a friend group taking snapchats, a family watching a violinist play, a dog running to catch a ball, etc. It’s such an amazing place to see everyone come together – athletes, family, children, teens, foodies, brides, just everyone.

I find it peaceful even though it has thousands of people going off in conversations, music playing by different performers, shouts coming from the people playing a sport, screams coming from children. There’s always a lot going on, but to me, it’s peaceful. It’s a place I feel like I can slow it down in fast-paced New York City. It’s a place I can clear my head of responsibilities and relax. I can row a boat, eat at a restaurant or just a plain old hot dog, I can go on tire swings, I can play with dogs, I can watch other people play or perform, or I can lay down in the grass and close my eyes and just slow it down.

My favorite spot in the park is Sheep Meadow. I found out about years ago when my aunt and I were strolling through Central Park and wanted to sit down because we were hot and tired. Well, I saw a lot of people in this one open space that seemed to be in a great spot and nearly everybody was there—by everybody I mean the families, tanners, sports players, friends, couples, etc—and I instantly knew this was my place, the place I would always come to if I was in Central Park. It did become my place and every time I’m in that park I go to Sheep Meadow. It has a great view, a great vibe, and it’s huge so it doesn’t feel like you are trapped in a gated lawn.

I just love the days where I can go to Central Park. I know I’ll always see something—the carousel, the carnival, the film festival, and the list goes on and on. It’s such a wonderful place for everyone, even for the sleeping people on their lunch breaks or the families that just needed to go to the park for the day.

Central Park is important because in the midst of all the skyscrapers and business and seriously fast-paced city, you have a huge park with trees, fun, and good vibes. It’s important to me because it makes me feel at home—like I can just lay down in the middle of the city and it is totally okay.

If I have a breakdown, or need to clear my head, Central Park is my place. It’s a place to walk with friends or explore by myself, a place to eat, or a place to do actual exercise. I do a lot in this park and that’s what makes it so special to me. It’s a place for everyone and in a city of millions, it’s a common thread that connects us all together. So whether you put on your tennis shoes for a run or grab your blanket for a nap in Sheep Meadow, there’s a place for everyone in Central Park.

Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli