This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Listening to records on vinyl can uplift the feel of any space, especially dorms. Take it from my roommates and I who made our common area into a music lounge freshmen year. Listening to records became a regular thing for us as new roommates and it really brought us all together. Something about playing a record always makes our space feel more personal and more like home.

Some of my favorites we listen to are Strange Trails by Lord Huron, For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver and Tell Me I’m Pretty by Cage The Elephant- and that’s just to name a few.

Whether you’re just starting your collection or have hundreds of records, the real fun is in visiting record stores and seeing what there is to find. Lucky for us, there are plenty of authentic shops in our neighborhood. One of the greatest things about the East Village is that it is brimming with used bookstores, thrift shops, and record stores.

Here are our top picks for finding vinyl:

Turntable Lab NY Storefront

84 East 10th St. New York, NY 10003

bet. 3rd + 4th Ave  

Academy Records

415 E 12th St. New York, NY 10009

bet. 1st Ave + Avenue A  

Good Records NYC

218 E 5th St. New York, NY 10003

bet. 2nd + 3rd Ave   

Mercer Street Books & Records

206 Mercer St. New York, NY 10012

bet. Mercer + Broadway

I highly recommend checking out these stores if you live in the village, but even if you don’t, bring friends and make it a day of exploring all the area has to offer. Record shopping is great because each store has its own feel and selection and I love that you never know what you’re going to find.

Happy hunting!

Studying Fashion Marketing and Digital Journalism at Marymount Manhattan College in NYC in hopes of one day becoming a big time magazine editor.
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com