What’s New At New York Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Marc Jacobs FALL 2018 READY-TO-WEAR

New York Fashion Week shocked the world as designers showcased their newest collections. Colored capes and coats followed by a diverse cast brought the heat for this runway season. Haute Couture American Designer Marc Jacobs used vibrant colors, oversized double breasted blazers, and large hats to reconnect with 1980’s. Alexander Wang’s show was titled “Boss Lady” as he highlighted women in the workforce. Within the past year women have been demanding equal rights and respect in the workplace and these brilliant designers created a movement as they identified the strength women have by creating collections focused on business attire.

Alexander Wang FALL 2018 READY-TO-WEAR

One particular trend this runway season was using plus size and racially diverse models. Runway has always been a place for type A, but this year types B, C, and D were ready to go and rock fashion as they took their walk. Michael Kors and Eckhaus Latta moved away from the stereotype model and made the runway a place for everybody. Vaquera a brand founded in 2013, due to the lack of diversity in the fashion place, used anything from unisex clothing to models with their own distinct background. A new expectation of what and who should be on the runway was established.

Eckhaus Latta FALL 2018 READY-TO-WEAR

Although New York Fashion Week has come and gone, the runway season is just getting started. London should get ready because fabulous coats, bags, scarves, and dresses are brighter and bigger than ever. Designers have stepped back in time and are using neon colors from the 80’s and prints from the 60’s to brighten up the world of fashion.

Boss FALL 2018 READY-TO-WEAR

Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside