What It’s Like Standing Up In Your Best Friend’s Wedding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Last Saturday, my best friend got married and it was one of the best days of my life.

Kaely and I met at our dance studio 13 years ago, and this past Saturday she got married to the love of her life. We grew up together, which meant awkward phases, drama, and boys… But most of all it meant I had a sister.

When Kaely asked me to be her bridesmaid, I can’t say I was surprised because I knew she would ask me (she’s my best friend, after all). When I found out that four of my other best friends were going to be in the wedding too, the day couldn’t come any faster.

The almost two year engagement was filled with planning, parties, and pure excitement. But this weekend, the day we dreamed of as kids, finally arrived and I was standing beside her as a bridesmaid. The day of consisted of waking up to “Marry You” by Bruno Mars, dancing in our monogrammed robes, and lots of hugging. We went to our hair appointment and then went to the venue to do our makeup and get dressed. It was surreal as I saw Kaely in her gown and veil, she was the perfect bride. Watching her father see her for the first time was emotional to say the least. Then all of a sudden, it was time to walk down the aisle.

The wedding itself was absolutely gorgeous. Fall in Michigan is already stunning, so an October wedding in Michigan was simply incredible. The weather was crisp and sunny, perfect for an outdoor reception, dusty blue and cranberry seamlessly fit. I got really emotional walking down the aisle because it finally felt real; I saw James standing there, felt the energy of my family and friends sitting down, and knew that Kaely was going to be following me soon.

Watching James see Kaely for the first time was indescribable. I have known James for a long time now, but I have never seen him as happy as that moment. I had chills seeing them holding hands standing together in front of me. I’ve known them as a couple from the start of their relationship. From hearing James say, “I love you” to Kaely on speaker phone, and hanging out at dance competitions when he would come to watch, to now seeing them be married in front of my eyes.

The ceremony was amazing, and then all of a sudden, they were a Mr. and Mrs. And of course, what followed was the most fun I have possibly ever had. My heart was so full the entire night; the amount of happiness and love in the room was tremendous. Celebrating my best friend and her new husband was hands down one of the best nights of my life.

The next day my cheeks hurt from smiling, my feet hurt from dancing, and my head was buzzing from staying up way too late, but I wouldn’t change a thing from that day, it was perfect in every way. Standing up next to my best friend as she got married was one of the greatest, most rewarding experiences of my life so far. Congratulations to my best friend and her new husband, thank you for letting me be a part of your special day.