What it’s Really Like to Have a Dog in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

This semester has been super exciting for me so far. I was able to bring my Emotional Support Dog, Belle, to New York with me. So far, it’s been very different from what I expected it to be like. I wanted to share some of my expectations versus what it actually is like in case anyone wants to live with a small pet in the city.

First, a little bit about Belle. Belle is a 7.7 lb Chihuahua who has lots of attitude and spunk. She’s not a huge fan of walking, but we do try our best to explore a few times a week. She loves to cuddle under blankets and play with socks. Her favorite thing, above all else, is definitely food. 

My first expectation was that Belle and I would be going on walks twice a day. I quickly found that this was not only unrealistic, but that Belle could barely handle one walk a day. She is potty pad trained so she uses the bathroom inside, which is helpful. We go exploring when I have time and when I can sense that she is feeling up to it. Otherwise, I do not push her. 

My second expectation was that she would be very well adjusted within the first week. It took me a while to realize that dogs may not adjust to a new surrounding that quickly. In order to make her feel more comfortable, I tried to bring as many things from back home as I could for her bed and her crate. I also try to stick to a routine every single day so that she is not overwhelmed with too many different schedules. Lastly, I use Only Natural Pet’s calming chews. They are chews for dogs made only with herbs and natural ingredients that help ease her anxiety when I am not home. She loves the taste of them, too, so they are really a treat to her!

My last expectation was more of a worry than an expectation. I worried that she would not like my roommate. It took her awhile to get used to a new person, but now she loves my roommate so much and is constantly wandering over to her room to see what she’s up to. They have their own special bond that has formed over the past month and love to spend time together.

Having a dog can be difficult, but it is also very rewarding. I love knowing that I will always have my little furry friend to come home to at the end of every day, no matter what my day has been like. It can seem like so much at times, but to me, the reward has always been greater than the work to make this a safe and loving home for her. If you are interested in adopting, it is National Adoption Weekend at PetSmart Charities. Call your local PetSmart to check out the different adoption agencies that will be there this weekend. Give a loving pet a “fur”ever home. 

Liz Brazil

Marymount '22

20 year old super fan of Harry Styles and Good Mythical Morning. I love music, art, and my chihuahua Belle.
Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.