Waste Not, Want Not: Social Media Pressures on the Zero Waste Movement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Aiming to keep unnecessary trash out of landfills, “zero wasters” refrain from using anything disposable. Instead they opt for reusable alternatives, often carrying around their own cutlery, cloth napkins, to-go containers, cups and grocery totes. The zero waste movement seems to be the latest craze to storm the internet as it’s followers share their message across social media platforms. These platforms, specifically YouTube, have acted as a catalyst for the movement, providing tips and tutorials to those who want to lower their carbon footprint.

This movement centers on reversing our modern mindset on garbage. Living in a disposable world revolving around convenience has had a significant impact on our environment, affecting natural resources and wildlife, but as with any craze to hit the internet, it has its downsides.

The internet and social media are associated with a fair amount of competition and societal pressures and this extends to the zero waste initiative. While it is rooted in good intentions and aims to spread awareness, it has also created competition between its subscribers. It can be interpreted as a game of “who can produce the least” and can lead people to purchasing more stuff. YouTubers and other social media influencers share their favorite zero waste staples, but when their followers run out to purchase them, they create more waste. At its core, the movement claims that less is more and centers on making use of what you have, but the internet has twisted its values. It almost insists that there is only one way to reduce waste, and that’s by striving for absolute perfection. No trash allowed.

Social media’s pressures have fostered the competition in this community as people strive to be more eco-friendly than one another. This trend of internet competition is not new. Originally intended to create new forms of sharing and communicating, platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook have evolved into places to share your life’s highs and very few, if any, of your lows. As users, it’s hard to keep this in mind. In order for this movement to be effective in gaining a following, it’s essential to shed the idea of social media perfection and focus on progress toward less waste. While many zero wasters still center their efforts on progress, it’s easy for newcomers to misinterpret their values. When playing the save the planet long game, effective communication and community should supercede the competitive nature of internet competition.

Making an effort to figure things out
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli