Style

Wardrobe Essentials Guide: Moving To NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Moving to New York City is a huge transition, especially if you’re not used to city life. One aspect of the transition you may not be prepared for is how to dress. Here are my top clothing and accessory recommendations for you to keep in mind before moving to NYC (or for you to purchase when you arrive!). These pieces have been lifesavers for me when getting around the city, so I hope they help you too!

1. Comfortable Shoes

It wasn’t until I moved here that I realized just how much walking you do. Living in New York, everything is conveniently within walking distance! This means your feet will be killing you by the end of the day if you’re wearing the wrong pair of shoes. Make sure to have a few pairs of stylish yet comfortable shoes, such as a pair of sandals with cushioned soles for the spring/summer. Make sure you also have a good pair of sneakers. This is a must-have when living in New York City. If you’re traveling by foot to get to your destination and you’ve got a bit of a walk, wear sneakers and bring your stylish shoes in your bag – trust me, it’ll make all the difference.  

2. A Raincoat  

When I moved into my dorm last year, my mom ensured that before my family left that I had picked up a raincoat. After dealing with downpours on my way to and from school these past 2 years, I’m so thankful she did! Of course, you can just use an umbrella, but sometimes they’re a pain and get in the way, especially when everyone around you is using them. Having a raincoat is more user-friendly, plus it adds an extra layer to keep you warm on chilly, rainy days. There are a bunch of cute ones you can choose from, I purchased mine from Zara last year and have received many compliments on it!

3. A Lanyard

I mainly own a lanyard for school, but I think it’s a good accessory to own when living in the city. It keeps all of my keys and cards in one place so I don’t have to search through my bag for the key to my apartment or my Metro Card. It’s also great because it’s small enough to hang by my door and quickly grab on my way out. I’d highly recommend picking up a lanyard as it’ll make your mornings a lot less hectic.

4. Staple Bags

A go-to handbag is a must, but finding the right bag for your lifestyle can take some time. My favorites are medium-sized crossbody bags, and canvas tote bags. I use my crossbody purse from H&M as my everyday bag, and use my canvas bags if I’m going to study on the terrace or go to a coffee shop on the weekends. Whichever bag you choose, I recommend finding at least one go-to style, and then you can always add to your collection.

5. A Thick Winter Coat & Weather Boots

The weather is constantly changing in the city, especially during the winter. The temperature gets to be freezing here, not to mention the ice and snow covering the streets, which makes it essential to own a good winter coat & pair of weather boots. They keep you dry and warm while you’re walking the snowy streets of New York, even if that walk is simply from your apartment building to a cab.

These are my wardrobe essentials when moving to NYC, let us know what your NYC essentials are!

Olivia Marrone is a senior at Marymount Manhattan College, majoring in Business with a concentration in Fashion Marketing & minoring in Digital Journalism. Marrone's writing primarily focuses on fashion & lifestyle journalism, with concentrations in style inspiration, social media & life in New York City. Along with writing, she is also passionate about photography, fashion, art, & traveling. She is currently based in New York City.        
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com