Style

Top 5 Shows You Need to Know from NYFW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

September is the start of “fashion month”, which means that all month long we will be seeing new collections. This past week was New York Fashion Week. This season was filled with a mix of neutrals and vibrant colors, beautifully structured garments, and power dressing at its finest. Didn’t get a chance to keep up during fashion week? Here are the top 5 shows you need to know: 

1. Proenza Schouler

@Vogue

With slicked back hair, structured outfits, and a fierce runway show, Proenza Schouler’s Spring 2020 Ready-to-Wear collection reminded us of the physical definition of power dressing. Consisting of structured yet oversized suits, asymmetrical cuts, and square-toed heels, the looks were cool, sophisticated, and effortlessly chic.  

1. Khaite

@Vogue

This collection proved that Khaite is worth all of the hype it’s been receiving on Instagram. The show was filled with whimsical pieces in darker, fall hues, shirts & dresses made of tulle, and 70s inspired silhouettes. Khaite’s beautiful Spring 2020 Ready-to-Wear pieces are an example of how fashion runway shows can be the perfect mix of editorial and wearable designs. 

1. The Row

@Vogue

Continuing to prove why they’re one of the most sought-after fashion brands today, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen’s The Row showed another stunning collection this season. The Spring 2020 Ready-to-Wear line consisted of their signature silhouettes (boxy basics), beautifully structured suits and overcoats, and the effortlessly-cool styling that is now synonymous with both the twin sisters themselves and the brand. 

1. Ralph Lauren

@Vogue

This season Ralph Lauren turned his show into another full experience by trading his cafe for a jazz lounge. With a theme of the 1920s, Lauren made his guests feel as if they were being transported into a Gatsby-like party as the theme of his Fall/Winter 2019 collection. Along with the sea of classic suits/tuxedos inspired by the jumpsuits shown, the collection included cocktail dresses and full-length gowns that added to the show’s sophisticated atmosphere. 

1. Tommy Hilfiger X Zendaya

@Vogue

After the success of their first collaboration, Tommy Hilfiger, Zendaya, and Law Roach are back with another #TommyNow collection. The Fall 2019 garments shared some of the same influences as the first collection, notably the 70s style silhouettes, but this time the design trio took the aesthetic and fit it for fall. Largely consisting of leather, houndstooth, velvet and polka dots in the form of suits, skirts, and blouses, the newest collection showcased not only fun fall fashion, but also inclusivity and diversity in their choice of models and adaptive design details, as described on the Tommy Hilfiger website

In case you missed NYFW, those are the top 5 shows you need to know! Despite New York Fashion Week being over, fashion month has just begun. I’m so excited to see the rest of London fashion week, as well as what Milan and Paris have in store this season!

Olivia Marrone is a senior at Marymount Manhattan College, majoring in Business with a concentration in Fashion Marketing & minoring in Digital Journalism. Marrone's writing primarily focuses on fashion & lifestyle journalism, with concentrations in style inspiration, social media & life in New York City. Along with writing, she is also passionate about photography, fashion, art, & traveling. She is currently based in New York City.