Tips for Hosting Your First Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

So your parents decided this would be the year they would spend Thanksgiving on some beach somewhere and your grandparents voted for Trump. Ready or not, it’s time for you to host your own Thanksgiving dinner for the first time ever, but how in the world is anyone supposed to do that? Besides the actual need for you to cook—which you may want to practice beforehand—here are some tips to remember when playing host or hostess for the day.

Make the most detailed grocery list of your life. It’ll make your shopping experience as joyous as JT’s.

Reserve excessive drinking for after the food is in the oven to avoid scenarios like this:

Never turn down help. This is not Masterchef. Let your friends lend a hand so you don’t have to take your stress out on the onions.

And when you do accept their help, do not turn into Gordon Ramsay. We are aiming for the least amount of broken relationships this Thanksgiving.

Don’t be afraid to decorate like Pinterest will disappear tomorrow. Go all out, there’s actually no one stopping you because this is your own house.

Pro tip: For the classiest Thanksgiving decor and recipes to ever exist, check out Lauren Conrad’s blog. It can practically plan the whole day for you.

If someone say the ‘T’ word, this is the proper reaction.

Remember, just because they did it in Friends does not make putting a turkey on your head a cool party trick.

Thanksgiving is a notoriously stressful holiday, but don’t despair! Grab your apron, invite your friends, and make some turkey. Even if you burn the stuffing and spill wine on the tablecloth, you’ll still be grateful for time spent with friends. Just put all of those funny stories in a mental archive labelled “Comic Relief For The Next Family Thanksgiving”. 

Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli