This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Thrifting used to be a thing of the past. What was once an activity that was looked down upon has now become one of the biggest trends in fashion. When it comes to thrifting in New York City you have plenty of options. Follow us, Bretny and Ileana, as we explore thrift stores in Brooklyn and Manhattan, share our thrifting tips, and hunt for some cute fits!

We would recommend making a full day out of thrifting. That way you can explore new neighborhoods, try on a ton of pieces to get a feel for your style, and fill in any gaps you might have in your wardrobe. But, before we get started, let’s go over the most important rules of thrifting: be thorough and try things on. You never know what could be hiding in between those hideous blouses, and you’ll never know what that dress really looks like until you try it on. Don’t count any pieces out because they just might become your new faves! That being said, we started the day by grabbing vegan food and lemonade at Smorgasburg – highly recommend! Then, we made our way to L Train Vintage. 

L Train is a pretty popular spot but this was our first time there. When you walk in its crewnecks, jackets, and denim as far as the eye can see. “When I saw the rack of crewnecks I knew I was in trouble,” says Bretny. L Train has a huge selection of t-shirts and jeans. These are great finds in a thrift store because they are the easiest to modify, which brings us to our first tip! 

Keep an open mind while looking through different styles and sizes. Sometimes, a piece can be altered. A good pair of jeans can be belted, cuffed, cut, or even painted to fit you and your style. You can pair them with an oversized graphic t-shirt, which can be tucked in or cropped to easily create the silhouette you want. After flipping through the racks for awhile Ileana decided to purchase a funky, patterned jacket. This is a perfect example of our next tip: be bold! Most thrift stores have reasonable prices, so this is your opportunity to step out of your comfort level with a wacky piece. Get creative with colors, patterns, and fabrics. You might be able to create an outfit that feels perfectly you, that you would’ve otherwise never came up with! 

After buying the jacket, we decided to move on to our next store.

Urban Jungle is basically connected to L Train Vintage so we visited there next. This space is huge and has an even bigger selection. We spent a long time flipping through the jackets, crewnecks, and t-shirts. I decided on a thick, quirky wolf sweater, while Ileana snagged a pink crewneck. When we migrated to the far part of the store I experienced love at first sight. This, unfortunately, brings us to our next tip. Check. Your. Clothes. I was instantly obsessed with this 80’s inspired puffy jacket but, upon closer inspection, the lining and collar were filthy. I brainstormed ways I could attempt to clean them, but ultimately decided it wouldn’t be worth the fifteen dollars. So, I parted ways with my beloved jacket.  

If you aren’t sure of where to start when it comes to thrifting, hit up your local Goodwill! You can usually find some basics, and maybe even some treasures. It’s a good way to get familiar with the art of thrifting without emptying your wallet. Overall, be patient while you thrift! Be ready to hunt for the pieces you want, be willing to make alterations, and have fun!

Bretny Seamon

Marymount '22

Bretny Seamon is a psychology major with a minor in drama therapy. She has a love for cats, bagels, planners, the color pink, and sounding like a total cliche. Hoping to be Elle Fanning when she grows up. Follow her shenanigans on Instagram @bretnymichelle!
Ileana Reed

Marymount '21

I'm going to school in a new city with different people and different trends. I love spreading positivity, and talking about fun ideas. Im very artistic and love to dabble in writing, photography, fashion, and film!
Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.