#TBT: Global Citizen Festival 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

The Global Citizen organization spreads awareness and takes action for some of the biggest challenges in the world. They focus on eliminating poverty and world hunger, creating education, and providing safe environments for everyone in every country. The organization sums it up as, “We bring you stories and actions that make a difference. That help fight extreme poverty and inequality around the world, and support approaches that will make life more sustainable for people and the planet.” Global Citizens stand for equality in the world and believe that one billion people living in extreme poverty is unfair and unjust.

The Global Citizen Music Festival held on September 26th brought in more than 60,000 fans to the Great Lawn in Central Park for the fourth annual Global Citizen Music Festival. The main headliners of the concert festival were: Beyoncé, Pearl Jam, Ed Sheeran and Coldplay. In addition to the headline stars the crowd was treated to special surprise performances from Ariana Grande, Common, Sunidhi Chauhan, and Tori Kelly. First Lady Michelle Obama even made an appearance and spoke to the crowd, as she is all about empowering women and providing education for all girls. Many famous actors and activists also made appearances to speak, such as: Leonardo DiCaprio, Malala, Salma Hayek, Hugh Jackman, Kerry Washington, Sophia Bush, Katie Holmes, Olivia Wilde, and Bono.

The Global Citizen platform was created by the Global Poverty Project in 2012, as a hub for innovative campaigns that work towards a world where every child can survive and thrive.  They believe in providing a world where every child has a chance to go to school, where women and girls are protected from violence, and have preventable diseases being treated and not holding people back from reaching their utmost potential. Global Citizens are active in charity work and are involved in the United Nations. They even have Global Citizen toilet paper being used at the UN headquarters in Manhattan. According to their mission, “Global Citizen is a community of people who want to learn and take action on the world’s biggest challenges—and use their power to get other people involved too. Global Citizens fight extreme poverty and inequality around the world, and support approaches that will make life more sustainable for people and the planet.”

Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside