roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Starbucks’ Red Cups Are Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

As with every year since 1997, the Starbucks red cups are back for another cozy winter season. Seventeen holiday season ago, Starbucks started off with a basic deep jewel toned red just to spice (no pun intended) up the season, opting to make Starbucks slightly more festive.

In recent years, the famous coffee chain has been notorious for their handcrafted red cups designs. Some fall in love, while other get deeply offended. Peep to Joshua Feuerstein’s rant in 2015. Where he attempts to bash the company for taking Christmas out of the cups because just like in 1997, the cups were plain red once again.

And of course, as social media does, his video only grew over time and others hopped on board with Feuerstein’s opinion. Obviously Starbucks *had* to make a change in the following season. AKA, this season.

On November 1, Starbucks chose to unveil a new line of green cups. What was the result you ask? Well, outrage of course. Because, “What the hell, @Starbucks. All these faces on my green cup and not a one of them looks like Santa or Jesus. WHY DO YOU STILL HATE CHRISTMAS,” someone shared on Twitter.

In a statement, Howard Schultz, CEO of Starbucks, explained that the new design — which features a mosaic of more than a hundred people drawn in one continuous stroke — is a reminder of our “shared values and the need to be good to each other.” The cup, Schultz said, was created as a symbol of unity amid the divisive election.

Obviously with Christmas being right around the corner, many believed this was in place of the beloved yet simultaneously hated holiday red cups. Bad timing, Schultz.

But nonetheless, the cups arrived on November 10, with not one design, but THIRTEEN hand drawn original designs. So if one customer is offended by one, maybe they’ll like another? Way to go, Starbs!