The Single Girl’s Guide To Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Valentine’s Day—you either love it or you hate it. Love is in the air; oh wait, that’s just a mix of garbage, cigarette smoke, and an odorous mix of street vendor foods—it is Manhattan after all. In the past, I have had very romantic and loving Valentines, so I understand the hype that comes from all the lovey couples. But, this year I am tackling the holiday as a single girl. V-Day is all about romance and being in love, so what do you do if your not in love? Here’s your answer!

Have a Me-Day!

I will personally be spending Valentines Day treating myself to a manicure, trying a new LUSH bath bomb, and eating my favorite Chinese takeout. Self-love is so important and Valentine’s Day is the perfect way to celebrate it. Be in love with you and appreciate yourself. There is never any shame in buying yourself a bouquet of flowers or a box of chocolates. Treat yourself!

Host A Galentine’s Or An Anti-Valentine’s Day

Get your girls together and show your friends how much you love them. You don’t have to be in a romantic relationship to be in love; you can love your bffs! Have a brunch, a girls night, or a party where you can spend some quality time with your friends. A night with the girls will be way more exciting than an awkward first date anyway, right?!

Go On A Social Media Cleanse For The Day

If you don’t want to see all that mushy-gushy, lovey-dovey couple stuff on your Instagram feed then the solution is simple —don’t look at it! If you have recently gone through a breakup or the subject of loving couples is a touchy one, then it may be a good idea to avoid exposing yourself to a potentially upsetting situation. If you think you may come across something upsetting on your social media, just avoid the situation entirely by not going on it and instead spend your time enjoying an extra treat for yourself!

Valentine’s Day does not have to be about being in love with the most perfect S.O. You can make Valentine’s Day into whatever you want or whatever you need it to be. Treat yourself, try something new, have a girls day with your friends! As my best friend always tells me—just do you boo!

“Being single used to mean that nobody wanted you. Now it means you’re pretty sexy and you’re taking your time deciding how you want your life to be and who you want to spend it with.” – Carrie Bradshaw

Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com