Sharp Objects: Spree of Slashings and Stabbings Sweeps Across NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Fear is looming over New York City due to a series of random, unprovoked, violent acts. Since the middle of January there have been many slashing and stabbing incidents reported by New Yorkers. Cases are occurring on trains, train platforms, and above ground. It’s happening in multiple boroughs, not just in seemingly sketchy neighborhoods with mean streets. Incidents are happening in what New Yorkers believe to be safe neighborhoods and at a variety of times, not just in the late night hours. According to the Police Commissioner and Mayor Bill DeBlasio, the attacks are completely random and are unrelated.

The New York Times reported at the end of January that the following incidents have happened: In Lower Manhattan a 71-year-old woman had her face slashed when she was sitting by herself on the train, a 30-year-old man walking in the East Village one afternoon was slashed, a 24-year-old woman going to work in Chelsea was attacked and slashed, as well as nine other men and women with similar circumstances. In every case, they were attacked by men that were wielding knives or sharp razors.

One week ago, a woman was waiting on the N/R train platform at 49th street around 7 P.M. when she felt a stab in her shoulder – which was later discovered to be a needle. According to The New York Post, the woman went to the hospital when she got home to Queens.

There have been several more incidents which include: a man slashing another man who was in the middle of an argument with a woman on the 2 train platform in Brooklyn; a 19-year-old jogger being slashed at 11 A.M. in Jackson Heights, Queens according to PIX11; another man being slashed at the 2/5 train station in the Bronx.

Police Commissioner, William J. Bratton, feels this is a serious string of events. “New Yorkers have a right to be alarmed or concerned, particularly those riding the subways,” he said during an interview with AM 970 The Answer. However, he explained that these situations are “isolated incidents” and it is not likely to be a pattern or result in a copycat situation.

For New Yorkers, there are many things that can be done in order to prevent any incidents. It’s imperative to stay extra alert of ones surroundings, especially when riding the subway and to not stand by the yellow line on the train platform. Wait for the train to stop before you walk up to it and, if possible, stand with your back against a wall or post. That way people can’t surprise you by approaching you from behind. Also, avoid going into an empty train car and try to stay around groups of people. While listening to music is something that most New Yorkers do, make sure that your earbuds aren’t too loud so you can still hear what is occurring around you.

At the end of the day, anything can happen anywhere. It doesn’t matter where you are, what time of day it is, whom you’re with, or what you are doing. Things happen and, though it can be scary, it is imperative to take every preventative measure possible in order to stay safe in the best city in the world.

Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Paige, originally from Nashville, TN, is currently a senior at Marymount Manhattan College majoring in Communication Arts with a minor in Journalism. Paige has held internships at two PR firms, Decider.com, MTV News, and has been a Contributing Writer for USA Today College. She is currently interning at Decider.com for a second time. Maroon 5, movie going, reading, cupcakes, Pinterest, and NYC are some of her favorite things. Contact her at paigegawley@hercampus.com or visit her website,www.paigegawley.com.