Ryan Atwell, ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Name:  Ryan AtwellHometown:  Sykesville, MD.Major:  BA Theatre Arts with a Concentration in DirectingOn Campus Involvement:  Peer Leader, Crew Chief, SGA Senator for Senior Issues, Senior Marshall Chair, Director on the Musical Theatre Association’s production of A Chorus Line

Past Internships/Jobs: Work Study-Mailroom, Hangar Theatre Lab Company Directing IntensiveWhat do you love about your Major?: The personal attention that I receive as a Directing Student has surpassed my expectations for my time here at MMC. I’ve been exposed to so much as a student and as an artist and have had numerous opportunities both here and outside of the college. I’m very lucky with the way that my path worked out.Best memory at MMC: The first summer that the college did Griffin Days I was a Griffin Guide for all of the sessions. Those three days were some of the most fun I’ve had at this college. I made a bunch of friends in those few days that I am still close with today. Also, seeing the new students have a great day here in the city and get to know the school a little better before their first day was a great to see. The excitement that comes from them sort of recharges me and gets me ready and excited to be back here on campus each year. I think the energy of the first-year students is what gets me through the year.Fave Class[es] You’ve Taken: The HIV/AIDS Epidemic, Valuing DifferenceAdvice for freshman: Dedicate yourself completely to your studies. Get a job, have a social life, do all of what you think “college life” is, but remember why you are here. Put your studies at the top of the list. Give it all you’ve got and then some. If you challenge yourself even more than a course does, you’ll be surprised by how much you learn. And in that, don’t focus on getting the best grade, focus on understanding and learning the concept, with that will come the good grades. Overall, make sure you are doing something that you love and have fun with it, it won’t feel like work!

FavesMovie:  The Four Faced Liar, or Gone Girl, it sorta depends on the dayTV Show:  Will & Grace and Teen WolfPlay:  At Home At The Zoo by Edward Albee Or The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia by Edward AlbeeStudy Spot:  Back table on the Quiet Floor of the LibrarySong:  That’s too hard of a question to ever answerSnack:  Sun ChipsCelebrity Crush:  Tyler HoechlinWebsite: Tumblr

Pick One!Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt?  FroyoStarbucks or Dunkin Donuts?  StarbucksStay up late or wake up early?  Wake-up earlyYankees or Mets?  Yankees I guess, I have no idea of what happens in the MLBConcerts or Broadway Shows?  Neither, Off-Broadway or Off-Off Broadway and downtown theatreUnion Square Park or Washington Square Park?  I guess Union Square since I’ve never really been to Washington SquareWalk or Subway?  If I can walk I will, especially on the east sideGossip Girl or Sex & The City? I don’t know that I’ve ever really watched an episode of either…

Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside