Review: Niall Horan’s ‘Flicker’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Whether you’ve been following the One Direction boys for years, or if you are just hearing about their solo work, Niall Horan’s debut solo album Flicker is something you should definitely give a listen to. And for the hardcore fans, here’s a complete guide to the album. You’re welcome.

“On the Loose”

“On the Loose” is a great way to start off the album. It’s super catchy with a really fun and bouncy chorus that’s guaranteed to get stuck in your head. It also brings out a side of Niall that we haven’t seen too much of which makes it an exciting way to start off.

“This Town”

True fans already know “This Town” because it was his first single and is a great piece of the album as a whole. It is simple, sweet, and beautiful. This acoustic song is a work of art and we were lucky enough to get to hear it long before the album release.

“Seeing Blind”

This track featuring Maren Morris is very different for Niall and I’m loving the country vibes in the song. Plus, it sounds great as a duo. “Seeing Blind” is the kind of song you’ll want to drive to while feeling the wind in your hair and staring lovingly at your crush.  

“Slow Hands”

Everyone knows “Slow Hands” already. That’s because it’s an absolute bop and you can’t hate it. It adds some much needed positive, upbeat vibes to the album to break up all of the sad songs.

“Too Much to Ask”

This song will make you feel depressed, but it’s okay because it has a great chorus and I’m not going to lie, there was a short period of time where I listened to it everyday. Also, the music video for this raises a very important question, who hurt him?

“Paper Houses”

“Paper Houses” is another song that is overflowing with heartache and full of emotions. It will make you feel the pain of a break up—even if you’ve never even experienced one. In addition to the song as a whole, the bridge of the song is intense.

“Since We’re Alone”

This song is another bop. Like “On the Loose”, it’s very fun and full of good vibes. It’ll make you wish it was you Niall was singing about and that you had a relationship like the ones straight out of the movies.

“Flicker”

If you thought “Too Much to Ask” was a lot to handle, get ready for “Flicker”. It is beautiful and it’s obvious that it comes straight from the heart. If you really want to die, then listen to the acoustic version on YouTube. Do it now.

“Fire Away”

“Fire Away” is a super chill and laid-back tune that will make you feel relaxed and know that everything will be okay. It’s a very sweet and easygoing jam. And not to be dramatic, but Niall saying the word “darling” is everything.

“You and Me”

This one is pretty sad, but not in the pulling on your heartstrings kinda way, just in the “hey this isn’t going to work out anymore” kinda way. Still, it’s a very steady jam with a strong chorus. I think it could be best defined as a goodbye song with a bit of hope to it. So hang in there.

“On My Own”

“On My Own” is all about Niall being #overit which is essential to this album full of heartbreaking songs. This track is the pick-me-up of the album and has a lot of personality to it. It makes me think of Niall out here thriving in his hometown. But also, who’s Chelsea?

“Mirrors”

Niall said his favorite line from the album was “you’re beautiful, have you ever been told?” and personally, I think about that a lot. “Mirrors” has a very big, powerful chorus, making it an absolute jam that lets you be dramatic, but without crying this time.

“The Tide”

The final track is another dramatic song you can listen too while walking down the street or staring out the window on the train. It finishes out the album on a good note. Just like “You and Me”, it will give you some hope and make you want to fix everything.

All in all, “Flicker” is a solid 10/10 and I highly recommend giving it a listen if you haven’t already. Thank you Niall, you’re doing great.

Studying Fashion Marketing and Digital Journalism at Marymount Manhattan College in NYC in hopes of one day becoming a big time magazine editor.
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli