Review: American Horror Story Hotel Premiere – “Checking In”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

The finale of American Horror Story: Freak Show left a bitter taste in the mouth of almost every fan of the anthology series, including my own. The lack of a consistent plot, character development, and closure made for a messy, generally unlike season. When the new season Hotel was announced, along with the addition of pop superstar Lady Gaga to the repertory cast, fans every where were hoping for something more substantial (and a lot scarier) than what we were given last season. Ryan Murphy did not let us down.

**SPOILERS AHEAD!**

This season started out with a bang; creepy monster man crawling out of a mattress? Kathy Bates giving her signature deadpan snark? Bloodsucking zombie children running through the hallways? All within the first ten minutes?! That is the kind of content I’m looking to see. Creators stated in an interview that they are going big this season and they weren’t kidding. This first episode had more horror and action than the entirety of Freak Show.

It was so wonderful seeing all of my favorite AHS actors return. Sarah Paulson returns to play the baddest bad girl, an addict named Hypodermic Sally; she’s already giving us some major feelings as a single tear rolls down her cheek in one of her very first scenes. Do I smell an Emmy win (finally)? Another favorite who returns this season is Dennis O’Hare, playing a bartender/entertainer who goes by the name of Liz Taylor. I can’t wait to learn more about his character because he’s already slaying it.

Every American Horror Story fan had different feelings about one very important addition to the cast; music world superstar and icon, Lady Gaga. I personally was thrilled about her joining to the cast, I’ve always loved her unique style and shining persona. And let me tell you, she did not disappoint. Her performance as the bloodsucking, sex crazed  Countess has to be one of the best I’ve seen in the whole series. She has such a regal and poised presence, but during the orgy scene we get to see her cut loose and get really, really down and dirty. I can’t get over how great of an actress she is and I’m so excited to see what else she brings to this season; her passion for the series definitely shows and is much appreciated by the fans.

I was on the edge of my seat throughout the entire premiere of Hotel, but I couldn’t look away. It left me so hungry for more; more horror, more backstory, more Gaga. I hope this season gives us the terror of Murder House, plot twists of Asylum, strong characters of Coven, and visual aesthetic of Freak Show. But the thing that I’m most excited about for this upcoming season is how the creators will tackle and portray issues that we face everyday, like they have done so beautifully for the past four seasons. Many fans have been able to connect to situations portrayed in the show which I think is so important in television, especially when a series has such a large audience/following. I can’t wait to see what Ryan Murphy, Lady Gaga, and the rest of the Hotel team bring us next week.

*Warning: the episode “Checking In” contains a violent rape scene that may be triggering for some viewers.

Becky is a junior at Marymount Manhattan College where double majors in Theatre Arts and Cinema, Television, and Emerging Media. She's an avid feminist, tv watcher, and Sarah Paulson admirer. Becky likes to live every day as if she were Lucille Bluth from Arrested Development.
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside