Recap: Did The ‘Friends’ Reunion Live Up To The Hype?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

The highly anticipated “Friends” reunion went down this past Sunday (Feb 21.) in honor of legendary director James Burrows. Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Matt LeBlanc, Lisa Kudrow and David Schwimmer talked with Andy Cohen but noticeably absent was Matthew Perry, who is currently in London starring in the play “The End Of Longing.”

During the special Jennifer Aniston stated, “We would do anything for Jim Burrows. He gave us the opportunity of a lifetime, and probably the best ten years of our acting careers that we will forever remember… We experienced friendship, heartbreaks, babies, everything together. And we had a wonderful experience with the world loving us, as well. They really connected with us.”

Besides showing admiration and appreciation towards Burrows, the reunion revealed a lot of cool facts for die hard “Friends” fans. When asked if they had to sign a contract stating that they wouldn’t be intimate with one another Lisa Kudrow said that she was never asked to sign anything like that. During all of season one, the cast would watch every episode together and give each other tips, a tip Courteney Cox had learned from her time on “Seinfeld.” Jennifer, Lisa and Courteney ate lunch together every single day for ten years during filming (and apparently Aniston makes the best salad.) Burrows, who directed multiple episodes of “Friends” besides the pilot, actually gave the cast his dressing room to play poker – which led to the funny episode ‘The One With All The Poker.’

Reviews on the reunion have been mixed. On one hand people feel that the cast reunion was something that couldn’t live up to high expectations because the show was so popular and the audience loves the characters. Many people felt that because the reunion was the actors sitting down as themselves, not as the characters. It was not the reunion people had in their minds. However, it was very endearing and moving to hear them speak about the ten years of their lives spent doing the hit sitcom.

“Friends” was television gold for Warner Brothers and it will continue to reign as one of the most popular sitcoms of all time.

Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside