Reasons Why It’s Not Too Late To Start Watching “Gilmore Girls”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

With access to so many shows on streaming sites like Netflix or Amazon, it can be kind of overwhelming trying to pick a new show to watch. There’s no doubt that binge watching has become an acceptable past time in our culture but because of that there is a lot of hesitation that comes with starting a new series. There’s something uniquely satisfying about consistently following the characters and story of a show and it’s the worst to be let down halfway through if the plot falls flat (I’m looking at you, “Gossip Girl.”)

So recently I found myself in this place, wanting to start something new but not wanting to invest my time in something I would ultimately regret. I asked around trying to find a show that was funny, light hearted, and relatable. I of course was offered many suggestions but one persistent friend told me that that I needed to watch “Gilmore Girls.” I remembered this show was popular when I was in elementary and middle school so I was a little skeptical if I’d actually like it but the “how have you gone this without ever seeing this show” tone in my friend’s voice made me decide to just give it a try; so I did, and now to say the least, I’m completely hooked.

There is so much to love about this show, the writing, the characters, just everything. So if you’re like me, timid and unsure if you want to hop on the bandwagon to Stars Hollow, Connecticut, here are 10 reasons why it’s not too late to start watching “Gilmore Girls.” 

1. Title Sequence

I dare you to watch this show and not sing along to the words of “Where You Lead.” I guarantee this song will become an anthem for you and your friends and that if you sing the first three words in a public place, a “Gilmore Girls” fan among you will yell out “…I will follow.” Also, I’m pretty sure the sepia filter and shots of Stars Hollow served as the early inspiration for Instagram creators, but regardless this title sequence is definitely iconic.

2. The Mother-Daughter Relationship

Okay, so Lorelai Gilmore is the definition of parent #goals. The relationship between her and Rory is adorable and totally relatable. Watching these two characters bond throughout the series will make you value and cherish your relationship with your own mom through the all the good and the not so good times that come with growing up.

3. Growing Up

This show obviously follows the life of small town sweetheart, Rory, as she makes her way through high school and college. You get to see her grow up, make mistakes, and navigate her way to adulthood. You’ll definitely get attached to Rory, but you’ll also find yourself reflecting on your own growth; maybe we all battled the awkwardness of adolescence, but if Rory can make it through that many strange social situations then maybe I can to!   

4. Hometown Love

You will fall in love with the adorable little town of Stars Hollow from its quirky characters to its picturesque town square. Even though my hometown wasn’t nearly as perfect as this quaint Connecticut masterpiece, seeing it makes me nostalgic for where I grew up and it will for you too! 

5. Coffee

One very important thing about Lorelai and Rory Gilmore is that they have a major caffeine addiction. This will either encourage you to start drinking more coffee or will justify your current consumption habits. I feel like I have a spiritual connection with Lorelai before I’ve had at least one cup of coffee before an 8:30am class (or really any time…)

6. Catchphrases

There are so many memorable phrases from this show. Whether created intentionally by Lorelai or said by the disapproving grandma, Emily, you will find a wide range of new lines to add to your daily dialogues.

7. Friday Night Dinner

I was talking with a friend and brought up Friday Night Dinners and someone walking by stopped and said, “Are you talking about Gilmore Girls?!” Friday Night Dinner is that iconic to the show. You will find yourself using it as an excuse to get out of things (i.e. “Sorry I can’t, I have a Friday Night Dinner.”), or as a metaphor for something you don’t want to do that actually ends up being great.

8.  Food

Lorelai and Rory have a very unique diet. They are big fans of diner food, Pop-Tarts… actually any variety of junk food or take out. You will use this show as an excuse to indulge your sweet tooth because if the Gilmore Girls can eat junk food for dinner, so can you!

9. Dating

Dating can be tough and Lorelai gets it. Her advice, along with watching both her and Rory go through the uncharted territory of the dating world will encourage, console, and undoubtedly relate to your own romantic experiences.

10. The Revival

So if you haven’t started watching “Gilmore Girl”s yet, this is probably the best reason to change your mind. Once you’ve finished the eight seasons available online, you will be able to continue the journey through Netflix’s revival of the show “Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life” being released this year.

So start watching now to get all caught up before the revival airs, copper boom!

Communication Arts and Dance student in NYC. Interests include the arts, The Office, and anything with sprinkles. 
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside