Read All About It: Manhattan’s Best Local Bookshops

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Everyday, hundreds flock to the doors of The Strand bookstore in downtown Manhattan. Walking by it everyday on the way to work, I almost always gloss through the discount stacks outside or stop in to see the latest releases. One day I went out of my way to grab a coffee and wandered to work on a different path than usual. It’s then that I noticed a small little bookshop only a block away from The Strand. I wondered why I had never noticed it before and decided to stop in and see what it was like. It was beyond amazing. One thought came to mind—what other amazing local bookstores I had been ignoring? I decided to set out on a quest to find Manhattan’s literary havens. In an era that threatens the sustainability of books, independent bookstores are at the highest risk of extinction. Discover them now, before it’s too late.

Alabaster Bookshop

This is the tiny used bookstore right around the corner from a favorite of New Yorkers and tourists alike, The Strand. Alabaster certainly has less thrills than its big name neighbor, but makes up for it in charm. Floor to ceiling bookshelves line every wall and where a shelf can’t fit, stacks of books cover any open space. They offer a small but mighty variety of used books at low costs—when I went there was a 20% off sale on the everything in the store. 

Three Lives & Company

This beautiful bookstore and its bright red door live in the heart of the West Village and is sure to give any book-lover butterflies. Jazz music plays in the background as you browse the neatly set up tables and shelves. With top of the line fiction available and a staff willing to divulge all of their best book advice, it’s no wonder this bookshop is a fan favorite.

Rizzoli

Located in the Flatiron District, this bookshop is highly praised for its design. Ornate ceilings rise high above the dark wooden stacks of design and art books. If you’re looking for the perfect coffee table addition, this is the place to be. It certainly isn’t a cozy enough to curl up in. It feels much more like Belle’s library straight out of Beauty and the Beast. Rizzoli is the perfect destination to admire the beauty of a bookstore when you feel like a little getaway from your studio apartment.

The Corner Bookstore

This one is a favorite of Upper East Siders since 1976. Walking in feels like stepping back in time. Their collection is well displayed and it’s easy to move through the store and browse. It’s a small shop, but their selection is all about quality over quantity. A staff member told me it feels like his own library and could recommend any book in the place. This is the quintessential independent bookstore with a rich history in the area and plenty customers that would hate to see it disappear. Also a fun fact—it was the inspiration for the “Little Shop Around the Corner” from You’ve Got Mail.

Book Culture

With multiple locations within Manhattan, you could assume this bookstore could have lost its local charm. Fear not, this one has all the perks of a large bookstore with all the nostalgia of its independent roots. The eccentric decor adds a whimsical element to this store that makes stopping in a treat and they’re bound to have the book you desire

As an industry advances, we all like to revert back to a more authentic experience every once in a while. Independent bookstores can provide that authenticity for all you bookworms out there. Going into any of these bookshops is guaranteed to add a little happiness to your day!

Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli