Nina Dobrev: Leaving The Fangs Behind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

It seems that The Vampire Diaries is losing one set of their vampire teeth as Nina Dobrev, who plays Elena Gilbert, announced last night via Instagram that Season 6 would be her last. And like every fan, I am sad to see Nina leave the show but I am also looking forward to seeing her grow as an actress. Prior to her announcement rumors had been swirling that one of the cast members were leaving but there were thoughts of it being Nina until a cast member had posted a photo with the hashtags “#wewillmissyounina #wewillmissyoumichael”. Since then, the picture has been deleted, as it seems that Nina wanted to spill the beans herself.

Personally, I don’t blame Nina at all for wanting to leave the show, especially when her character seems to be in a never ending love triangle with a personality rut that hasn’t been the same since Season 3. Playing an immortal, 19 year old vampire can be a little taxing, and also working with your ex-boyfriend (who recently got engaged to someone else) is another big pill to swallow. Nina is an amazing actress who will be gracing the big or small screen once again and we will continue to love her bubbly personality, yoga fitness, and lovely Instagram photos.  

But now fans are wondering what will happen to Elena Gilbert at the end of Season 6 and which female cast member will be pushed up as the newest leading lady. Will it be Caroline (Candice Accola) or Bonnie (Kat Graham) now that both of their characters are embarking on new possible relationships with both Salvatore brothers?

Bonnie and Caroline’s storylines have been expanding tremendously with the new arc of Bonnie possibly getting together with Damon and Caroline recently turning off her humanity with Stefan to cause mayhem in Mystic Falls.

How do you guys think Elena Gilbert’s story will finally wrap up at the end of the season? And do you think that Nina’s departure could affect the show without one of the main female leads?

Alexzandria Parker, 20, an English and Journalism major at Marymount Manhattan College. Editorial/Public Relations intern at Aritzia. Member of a HeartRevolution in Soho. Can also be found dancing to the beat of her own drums on the 4, 5, and 6 trains every morning. 
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside