New York Film Festival Lights Up The Big Screen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

A film buff can find their heaven on earth at the 52nd annual New York Film Festival, running September 26th to October 12th at Lincoln Center. The festival has been a major staple in the world of cinema since its start in 1963. It is a great opportunity to go discover more about the world of cinema, indulge in great films and get insight about the film industry. New Yorkers have the privilege of being one of the first audiences to see screenings of the films that are being shown.

The Film Society of Lincoln Center chooses the films that will be shown at the New York Film Festival. The festival was established by Amos Vogel and Richard Roud and the current Festival Director is Kent Jones, who also serves as the Chairman of the Selection Committee. The films are selected based on merit and quality. There are prominent directors who have their films screened at the festival on a regular basis due to their consistent extraordinary work. Filmmakers from all over the globe come to screen their films and to watch other films being shown. Brilliant filmmaker Quentin Tarantino has said, “If you just love movies enough, you can make a good one.” For a film to make it on the big screen at this festival in New York City, one automatically knows it will be high quality and made with passion – or it certainly wouldn’t be there.

One of the best parts about seeing a film at the festival is being able to hear the director, actors and filmmakers discuss their masterpiece after the screening. After all; films are made for people to enjoy. They are made to have an impact on people and to evoke emotions from them. Legendary filmmaker Martin Scorsese has said, “When I’m making a film, I’m the audience.” Films are made for the audience’s experience. Frequently filmmakers hold discussions and Q&A sessions. The audiences have a rare opportunity of getting to interact with the creators.

Highlights of the festival this year include the opening of David Fincher’s “Gone Girl”, Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Inherent Vice” and Alejandro González Iñárritu’s “Birdman” as the closing film. This year, talented actor Richard Gere received a celebration of his impressive career with a tribute dinner and conversation at Lincoln Center’s Stanley H. Kaplan Penthouse.

The New York Film Festival is a treasure found every year and the films screened are gemstones. The tradition of showing amazing films and bringing to life the filmmakers behind the camera will carry on for years to come!

Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside