Style

My Experience Working at College Fashion Week NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Going into my second year of being a member of Her Campus, I was super excited about all the events my chapter participates in, especially College Fashion Week. Until this year, I had never attended and was set on going even before I was fortunate enough to attend as a Social Media and Marketing Assistant! This meant that I helped staff the sponsor’s marketing activations for the attendees to enjoy. This year’s sponsors included Her Campus, Primark, Ulta Beauty, Almay, eos, and SABRE.

When I got to the venue in Brooklyn, I was able to look around at all the different stations before anyone got there. There were places to take pictures, places to get your hair done, and plenty of Ulta Beauty goodie bags. Before doors opened, the assistants were appointed to their position for the night and we had time to get to learn what our job duties would be. I was happy to be placed at Her Campus’s “bracelet bar” where people could make their own beaded bracelet that I would tie on for them.

I spent the night helping people choose from alphabet beads, tassels, dessert-inspired beads, and more to make a personalized bracelet. For me, working the event was a lot of fun because I got to talk to girls from other chapters and see all the trendy fashion. However, the best part by far was seeing my friends who attended because I got to see my best friend from another school, girls from my own school, and even my roommates, who I encouraged to attend. I loved that the event brought everyone together so we could share the experience.  

By inviting college women to participate as models and assistants, Her Campus put on a girl-power-filled event for everyone to enjoy. The room was overflowing with positivity and empowerment, and I think all who attended could sense it. I had a great time at my first College Fashion Week and will definitely be back in 2019.   

Studying Fashion Marketing and Digital Journalism at Marymount Manhattan College in NYC in hopes of one day becoming a big time magazine editor.
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com