you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Modern Day Emo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

The world of the modern day emo is an aesthetic that is continuing to gain popularity. The emo lifestyle was at its peak in the early-mid 2000s with popular artists at the forefront such as Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, and Green Day. Although the lifestyle died down for about a decade, it has made a comeback—especially among millennials. I myself do not identify as emo, but as a lover of all things emo, I took to the streets to find out the reasoning behind the modern day emo.

I interviewed three women by the names of Izzy, Pippie, and Ash Pea.

Do you consider yourself emo?

Izzy: I mean, yes.

Pippie: I guess.

Ash Pea: I have very emo tendencies.

What makes up an emo?

Izzy: There are three parts: Music, Attitude, Style.

Pippie: Cropped pants, high top vans, oversized sweatshirt, beanie, skateboard.

Ash Pea: It’s mostly about the music. You should not only be emo on the outside, but emo on the inside too.

Can you describe the emo aesthetic?

Izzy: Kids who listened to mid 2000s emo music are now heavily influenced by that music. The millennial generation is very nostalgic.

Pippie: Black or red eyeliner tears.

Ash Pea: You probably cry a lot, so your mascaras always running. You have really dark hair, with some color going on. You also have black skinny jeans, Vans, a flannel, and always have headphones on you.

Is emo a phase or a lifestyle?

Izzy: It’s a phase that sticks with people. You can tell who used to be an emo kid.

Pippie: It’s a phase, but some bring it into a lifestyle.

Ash Pea: Maybe aesthetically it’s a phase, but if “Welcome To The Black Parade” comes on and you’re thirty-five, you’re gonna cry.

Finally, what’s your favorite band?

Izzy: My Chemical Romance

Pippie: McFly

Ash Pea: Brand New

After interviewing these women I have concluded that the modern day emo may not always be clear to the public, but to the individuals a little bit of emo will always have a place in their hearts.

Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli