This Microneedling Tool Literally Changed My Face

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Being 21-years-old and having acne is frustrating. Or having it at any age, really. I will do anything to make my skin look better. That usually means leading a healthier lifestyle and makes me feel good overall. Recently I had seen people rolling these needle contraptions over their face, so I did some research.

Microneedling is a minimally invasive treatment to promote skin rejuvenation. A device, such as a derma roller, is used to create minuscule punctures to the top layer of one’s skin. It is said to help with stretch marks, acne, acne scars and wrinkles.

Deciding to take matters into my own hands, I went on Amazon and got myself a derma roller for about fifteen bucks. You can get one in different sizes, but I chose the somewhat smaller of the bunch with only 0.25 mm needles. This roller has over a hundred little needles! I had also read that you needed a serum, so I picked up vitamin c serum too for another fifteen bucks. Like my sister always said, “beauty is pain.” Right?

The steps seemed simple:

1. Apply serum to the area.

2. Use the derma roller by rolling it over the area up and down, side to side, and diagonally.

3. Apply serum to the area again.

Easy enough!

Personally, I do not find the derma roller to be uncomfortable and find it to be quite simple and quick. This only takes an extra few minutes before bed and the results are worth it! Before I started, I had some acne scars on my cheek that I wanted to take care of and it just about did the job after only a month. I also found it helped with my acne overall by making my breakouts less frequent. When I did have a small breakout, it was gone within a few days, and I have not had any large pimples while using this – not even around my time of the month.

Things to keep in mind would be that you are basically making small little wounds on your face, so you need to sterilize the derma roller before each use. This is also not to be done every night because you need to give your skin a break. The derma roller worked for me but may not work for everyone because everyone’s skin is different and so is their pain tolerance. I suggest talking to a dermatologist before hand and remembering that the best results will most likely come from them in their office. It was fun trying something different though, and I am in love! I plan on continuing this routine and possibly buying a new one with a bit bigger needles.

Marymount Manhattan College 2017