From Marymount With Love: MMFI’s Spring Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Tuesday nights don’t typically consist of amazing clothes, cool people, and a fashion show (well at least mine don’t…), but that can all change this Tuesday, April 21st thanks to the Marymount Microfinance Initiative (MMFI) and the business department.

MMFI is gearing up to host their 2nd annual fashion show with the help of the Communications and Dance departments as well as the clothing line Threads 4 Thought.

The MMFI strives to provide small scale funding to low-income entrepreneurs and the event organizers, Nina Carter and Ben Bathman, are overjoyed to have found a clothing company that is  “sustainable and big on social responsibility, honest sourcing, and fair trade,” Carter said.

The event, which will run from 8-10pm, will include a runway show (with two surprise professors walking as models), a buying hour with refreshments, and a raffle to win one of two full outfits. Need more of a reason to attend? Well how about the opportunity to win half of the money pooled from a 50/50 raffle (where two tickets are just $1!)

Still need more motivation?  How about Threads 4 Thought’s sweepstakes to win two plane tickets to anywhere in the US? Just enter your email and you could be shipping off to the city of your choice in just a few short months!

The event will be in the Great Hall and is completely free to attend! Attendees are encouraged, however, to bring one piece of used clothing that will be donated to Housing Works.

“Our idea is that you bring something that’s old and go home with something new,” Bathman said.

The event, which has the theme From Marymount With Love, will be two hours of fun, food, and fashion that will, hopefully, continue many years into the future. “We want to use the clothes we have to promote a happy loving feeling,” Carter said. “We want to expand this program into the next year and leave a legacy when we graduate.”

Questions about the event? Email Nina at ncarter@mmm.edu!

Paige, originally from Nashville, TN, is currently a senior at Marymount Manhattan College majoring in Communication Arts with a minor in Journalism. Paige has held internships at two PR firms, Decider.com, MTV News, and has been a Contributing Writer for USA Today College. She is currently interning at Decider.com for a second time. Maroon 5, movie going, reading, cupcakes, Pinterest, and NYC are some of her favorite things. Contact her at paigegawley@hercampus.com or visit her website,www.paigegawley.com.