jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Lindsey Sullivan ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Upperclassmen surely remember seeing this always smiley, extremely kind, writer extraordinaire grace the halls of Marymount just last year. For the freshmen or transfer students who were not lucky enough to get to know Lindsey Sullivan personally (or even if you did and you just want a refresher on her awesomeness) read below for our Q & A with this recent grad.

Tell us your name, graduation year, major/minor, current city of residence. Lindsey Sullivan, 2014, Communication Arts with minors in Journalism and Theatre Studies, Fairfield, ConnecticutWhat was your experience like at MMC?New York City is what made MMC my dream, and MMC is what made New York City my home. This College and this city are for self-starters, and MMC absolutely gave me ample opportunity to become that in a way I had not yet known. Whether I was attending a Mainstage rehearsal for a Monitor article or running into residents at a Comedy Shmomedy performance, I felt a sense of simultaneous belonging and independence that I had craved in looking at colleges. I was able to begin paving my own way in the world alongside a fantastic group of faculty, staff, and students who were and are continuing to do the same.What clubs/activities were you involved in at Marymount?The Monitor, MMC Residence Life, Student Phoneathon, Lambda Pi EtaWhat is a favorite memory of yours from your time at Marymount?Oh wow, this is tough! I would say discovering Shanghai Cuisine with my best friend Alex Mollica freshman year, dancing with a Bollywood crew for MMC’s Got Talent sophomore year, working on The Monitor junior year as Editor-in-Chief, and eating at Shanghai Cuisine with Alex the last night before graduation. But those are just a few!What is the thing that you learned at MMC that has helped you the most in the real world?It is up to you to fill your life with the people and things that you are passionate about. There is not one set in stone best time or best day of your life. Every day has the opportunity to be your best day. It’s all up to you to rise to the occasion.What do you miss most about MMC?The SOS. Dorian Davis’s existence. The chicken fingers.

What are you up to now?I am currently freelance writing for a publicity agency called Moffly Media in Westport, CT. I write entertainment and lifestyle pieces, and I love reviewing the productions at Westport Country Playhouse and interviewing artists at Fairfield Theatre Company. I am also continuing to work on my blog Not So Fair Hair, which chronicles my experience as a young woman living in Fairfield and New York City with alopecia. In addition, I am helping Matt Windman of amNewYork with a book he is writing regarding theatre criticism. Babysitting, dog sitting, taking selfies with the dogs I am sitting (?), hanging out with high school friends who are also back home, Zumba, and binge-watching are also thrown into the mix. I am looking for a full-time job in editorial and am hoping to move back to New York City by next summer!Where do you see yourself in five years? Ten?In five years I will be 27, so that is really weird to think about. I definitely would like to be living in New York or in another place that I have visited and grown to love just as much. I have never left the country before, so I know there is a lot to see! I would love to be continuing my career in journalism, be it in print or online or broadcast. In ten years, I will be 32 (WHOA). I hope to be excited about whatever it is that I am doing and to have paid off my student loans. I hope to turn Not So Fair Hair into a book. I hope to still like good music. I hope to still enjoy themed parties. I hope to continue my very serious relationship with sweet potato French fries.What advice do you have for current college students?These four years are what you make of them, as are the days and months and years that will follow them. Find work you are passionate about. Know that the things that don’t work out only mean that something bigger and better (for you, not in the conventional sense) is on the way. Be nice to the RAs. Always bring cash and a jacket. Pancakes at midnight always make sense.What do you wish you would’ve known during your time at college?There is no reason you cannot apply for that seemingly out of reach internship, approach that person you are interested in but think is out of your league, or take that class that looks completely out of left field on your transcript. Learning does not stop in life, but this is the most fantastic place to do it. The worst thing a person or organization can say is “No, thank you,” and if they can think of something worse to say than that, you want nothing to do with them anyway.

Pick One!Ice cream or fro yo? Ice cream! Specifically, the S’more Sundae at Max Brenner’s.Dunkin or Starbucks? Dunkin for coffee and hot chocolate, Starbucks for froo froo drinks.Stay up late or wake up early? Both rock, just never together.Concerts or Broadway shows? You’re killing me, smalls. Broadway shows.Walk or subway? WALK IT OUT.Gossip Girl or Sex and the City? Gossip Girl because Chuck Bass.Met or Moma? I could spend hours at the Met.Central Park or Brooklyn Bridge? How ‘bout Brooklyn Bridge Park? 

Paige, originally from Nashville, TN, is currently a senior at Marymount Manhattan College majoring in Communication Arts with a minor in Journalism. Paige has held internships at two PR firms, Decider.com, MTV News, and has been a Contributing Writer for USA Today College. She is currently interning at Decider.com for a second time. Maroon 5, movie going, reading, cupcakes, Pinterest, and NYC are some of her favorite things. Contact her at paigegawley@hercampus.com or visit her website,www.paigegawley.com.