Jailenn Morel, ‘15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Let’s start simple! Tell us your name, age, year, and hometown.Oh hay! I’m Jailenn Morel, 21, senior and I’m from Westchester New York!

First off, how do you feel about being Campus Cutie this week?!Holy bananas!  Well I guess I would like to thank the academy…. Just kidding this is really sweet thank you!

Do you have a favorite spot on campus?8th floor art department! It’s like a family up there, I love it! It’s amazing to be around all of these inspiring artists and to see everyone grow. You can also find me napping on the couches in fourth floor Nugent building. When it comes to naps I have no shame.  

Have you had a favorite moment at MMC so far?I have two I can’t decide between! Last spring I interviewed a variety of female alumni who attended MMC between the 1950s-1970s. Hearing their stories were wild and made me proud to be a griffin! Now I get to continue on with the project and I’m really excited to see where it goes. Also, participating in the Senior Thesis art show was awesome! I feel like all of us senior studio art majors came out of that experience as a family. It’s an incredible feeling having the kind of support we had while working on our projects.

Where do you see yourself in five years? Ten?Five years… Probably freaking out about being in law school and reminding myself how crazy I am for doing this to myself. And in ten years I better be using that law degree to save women and stand up for my fellow LGBTQIA folk! Hopefully I’m still making strange feminist art work to go along with it. I’m really passionate about helping people and bringing awareness to the real issues behind these fields of study. It’s going to be a difficult journey, but I can’t wait to see it all unfold.

Tell us something people don’t know about you!Oh jeeze, well here we go. I’m a comiccon superhero loving nerd, a health freak (thanks celiac), I scream my face off at New York Rangers hockey games, I love to cook (I’m pretty good) and I make freaky feminist art about the human body! On a more serious note however, I am about to embark on the journey of converting to Judaism. I’m really excited about finding myself within this new world and officially becoming part of this community that I’ve been surrounded by my whole life. Wish me luck everyone!

Quick Questions:Who is your celebrity crush? Zooey Deschanel and Adam Levine foreverFavorite class at MMC so far: Advanced Painting with the art goddess Beth Shipley! Also, anything Doctor Lauren Brown teaches, because have you met her? Doc B’s a friggen inspiration! I’m also doing an art independent study with the genius that is Millie Falcaro!Go-to Starbucks order: Venti iced coffee with soy milk.NYC hangout: The Jeffrey! The Bae and I frequent there for its yummy food and date night atmosphere.Movie: I just watched Horns with Daniel Radcliffe and holy moly was it crazy!Song at the moment: Dear Future Husband by Meghan Trainor and 365 days by ZZ Ward. 

Anything else you want to add?I’m such a cheeseball! I cry over the silliest scenes in movies and TV shows. So if you ever see me trying not to cry in the library, I promise I’m okay, I’m probably just watching The Voice <3. Yah that’s probably about it!    

Victoria Piering, 22, studying Communication Arts: Creative Media Production with a minor in Photography at Marymount Manhattan College in NYC.  Can usually be found talking about boybands, Disney World, or dogs. Pop culture fan and an avid concert goer. Usually taking pictures for Sunset Spotlights or my epic wall collage. Class of 2016. @Vickyp94
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside