Interview With Sandra Cerrone: DJ Sandra Dee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Sandra Cerrone is a passionate and positive, radio industry professional. She’s known as DJ Sandra Dee and has interviewed countless famous musicians and has even covered awesome events like The Academy of Country Music Awards. As a working DJ & MC she works at Cumulus Media for the radio stations such as NASH FM 94.7 and 95.5 PLJ in the promotions department as a team leader. She even currently hosts her own radio show, Sweet Beatz on Old Westbury Web Radio on Fridays from 11 A.M. – 1 P.M. With her background working with Disney and Radio Disney, she has been in the music, radio and entertainment industry for over ten years. Sandra shows us all that with hard work, dedication and optimism – we can make our dreams our reality one day at a time. She’s the perfect person to go to for advice on how we can make it in the large and competitive music industry:

When did you first realize that you wanted to be a DJ and in the music industry? What has your process been to get your own DJ jobs and build your own brand? You do a ton of work and rock it!

I first realized I wanted to be in the music industry at the age of 12.  I drew a liking to a particular band (The Backstreet Boys.)  It was at that time that I started attending multiple autograph signings with different artists.  I then made the decision that I wanted to manage musicians.  When I was attending Nassau Community College I obtained an internship at Radio Disney for the summer.  It was here that I grew in the field of Promotions and Broadcasting.  It was during my 12 years at Radio Disney that I became an MC to local events in the NY-metro area, in addition to assisting with the local on-air PSA show on Radio Disney. I am celebrating 14 years in radio this year and I have grown from working at Radio Disney to my current job at Cumulus Media (NASHFM, 955PLJ, Radio1039, & WABC Radio.)  In the last three years I have taken on another task by volunteering my time at the SUNY College at Old Westbury and starting my own radio show called “Sweet Beatz.” The process of building my “DJ Sandra Dee” brand started with my time at Radio Disney and has carried into present state.

You have a big background in Radio Disney. Can you talk a little bit about that?

It was at my local community college through their career counseling center that I found Radio Disney.  I started in 2002 as an intern in the field of Promotions.  It was from there that I grew from an intern into a host.  I hosted over 1,000 events in the NY, NJ, CT, and Boston areas for Radio Disney.  I hosted everything from concerts with upcoming artists like The Jonas Brothers, Demi Lovato, Miley Cyrus, Disney Channel Worldwide TV Up fronts, supermarkets, to launching Disney products that received attention from Disney Channel. Radio Disney is a brand that is a part of The Walt Disney Company.  We were held to the same standards that the Walt Disney Parks & Resorts also uphold.  What we created was “magic” on a local level.  We told stories to communities across the metropolitan area.  Disney is a brand that families trust and we brought some of that “Disney Magic” to those who would never afford a vacation to Orlando, FL. My time at Radio Disney New York will never compare to any other job I’ll have in my entire lifetime.  It wasn’t just a job, we weren’t just Cast Members, we were Ohana (which means family).That is so special.

How did your college experience prepare you to work in the entertainment industry? What did you study there?

I attended Nassau Community College from 2000-2002 and Adelphi University from 2002-2005.  I got my A.S. Liberal Arts & Sciences at NCC and received my B.A. in Business Management and Specialization in Marketing from Adelphi University. Throughout my years in college I focused a lot of my studies on Marketing. Marketing plays an essential part in the business aspect of radio.  In my senior year at Adelphi University I had my own web radio show.  I have recently learned the majority of the technical portions in radio while volunteering at SUNY College at Old Westbury’s radio station. Although college was an asset to my eventual end point, the majority of my learning experiences came from my experiences within the work force.

You have interviewed a ton of famous bands and performers! Who have been some of your favorites to interview?

I have done a lot of interviews (some of whom I’ve had to pinch myself!) The Jonas Brothers have always been my favorite to talk to because I started with them when they were just kids!  I hosted their very 1st CD release party.  The JoBros will forever be not only the most talented group of young gentlemen, but also family. I have interviewed a variety of comedians, performers, musicians, organizations, etc.  I must say my favorite interview to date has been drummer/musician from Florida Georgia Line, Sean Fuller.  Sean has started his own brand called “Be The Beast.”  While on tour Sean goes to speak with kids at schools about following their dreams.  The 1 thing that stuck out in my head was his acronym for “BEAST:” B = Believe In Yourself, E = Envision Your Future, A = Aim Beyond Your Goals, S = Strive for Excellence in Everything That You Do, T = Transform into the “New You.”Sean said if you can do all those things you will be surprised at how your life will skyrocket!  Cupid from the infamous “Cupid Shuffle” also was a memorable interview.  The reason why I loved our chat was because of how inspiriting he is.  Not only does Cupid create such wonderful “dance songs,” but he also started a program called Curobiks Fitness that he promotes across the country encouraging people to lose weight by dancing. I take something away from all my interviews and because of that I feel like I play a channel to ask the right questions that the public would want to hear.  I enjoy interviews and nothing gives me more pleasure than to help fans get closer to their favorite artists.  I hope to bring that to the next level in the future someday! 

In addition to interviewing musicians, you have covered country music awards! That’s amazing! What was that experience like?

The Academy of Country Music Awards was one of the most surreal experiences in my life.  It’s an experience I will never ever forget for the rest of my life.  I applied representing my show and my radio station not knowing that I would even get accepted! Not only did I get to cover the ACM Party for a Cause both days leading up to the awards show, but I also had the opportunity to connect with some artists. I’ll never forget the awards show, dressing up, sitting in a media box at the highest attended awards show with over 70,000 people at the AT&T Stadium in TX.  I got to call into my radio station to do live updates and it was an electrifying night.  It was an incredible experience that only solidified that this was something I was meant to do for the rest of my life.

You work at Cumulus Media and the radio stations NASH and PLJ. What is that like for you? What do your tasks include and how does that help add to your DJ business?

Working at Cumulus Media is an incredible experience! I get to work not just with 1 radio station, but with 4 different kinds of stations! As a Team Leader in the Promotions Department I carry out duties in order to facilitate events in the NY-metro area.  I also speak with clients to ensure that an event is carried out successfully. I recently showed interest in pursuing a career on the air.  I have begun the beginning steps of that and am a board operator.  I ensure that NASH-FM’s America’s Morning Show is running properly, in addition to inserting local traffic/weather. I have also been assisting with the Traffic/Continuity Department as a Production Assistant.  My duties are to edited and add local commercials in the radio stations systems. I wear many hats at Cumulus Media and I feel that is what makes me a valuable employee to the company.

Who are your personal favorite artists to listen too?

I am the type of person who loves all different kinds of music/artists.  Some of my favorites are: Backstreet Boys, Elvis Presley, Luke Bryan, Carrie Underwood, The Jonas Brothers, Garth Brooks, Demi Lovato, and Josh Abbott Band…just to name a few!

You have your own radio show you DJ for! How did you create that?

I started my show at the SUNY College at Old Westbury 3 years ago.  I am lucky enough to be at a place where I got to create my own show.  My show is a mixture of country/pop with entertainment news and interviews mixed in.  My favorite part of my “Sweet Beatz” show is my “new artist of the week.” Every week I interview and play music from an artist that is up and coming. To me this is the most rewarding part of my show where I get to introduce the world to new artists!

Can you provide a breakdown of steps of working your DJ gigs and your radio show? The process?

A typical show for me is not just playing music, but also working on entertainment news. Creating a show is all about timing and working around commercials. A typical show takes me between 3-4 days to complete. If I am interviewing an artist, editing, promoting all takes additional time as well. It’s not just about playing songs, but timing everything correctly.

What advice can you give for people like myself aspiring to work in this industry and are in the early stages?

The entertainment industry is an extremely competitive industry. I think it’s important to understand the business end of everything, which is why it is vital to have a degree.  Although, in this business it is all about whom you know.  Knowing that success doesn’t happen overnight and can take years is vital.  After 14 years of being in radio, I can honestly say I don’t plan on giving up anytime soon.  The word “defeated” does not exist in my book.  I would tell everyone don’t burn your bridges and be nice to everyone because you never know who you’ll meet. That might be the person who will present you with an opportunity. Soak up everything like a sponge and never ever give up. Tackle this industry with music passion. If people discover they don’t like the industry, then consider a career change. GOOD LUCK and know that when the time is right and you have your “dream job” know that there will be someone just like you who needs the same guidance. Don’t forget to give back to that student who is in your exact same shoes.

For more, find Sandra at DJSandraDee.com, and follow DJ Sandra Dee on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!

Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside