free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Interview With SAG-AFTRA Actress: Kristen Schiano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Kristen Schiano is a talented working actress in New York City and is a member of the union, SAG-AFTRA (Screen Actors Guild – American Federation of Television and Radio Artists.) She holds a BA in Theatre Arts and English Literature from her Alma Mater Drew University. One of her biggest roles to date has been playing the character, Gwyneth van Zanten, the icy murderess, on the hit CBS show “The Good Wife.” She was also a stand in for Jennifer Lawrence during “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” film! She has worked personally with actors James Spader, and one of her childhood favorites, John Stamos. Kristen is accomplished and has been working in the industry for years as an actor, model and dancer. Her background in college was even in the performing arts. The film addict and chocoholic is a breath of fresh air in the entertainment industry. The process of getting an agent/manger, joining the union and finding auditions can be daunting because the industry is so competitive – but Kristen is a pro! For this piece, I had the pleasure of interviewing Kristen who I’m proud to call my friend:

When did you first realize that you wanted to be an actress? Who and what, have been your biggest influences?

I have always had the performing bug ever since I saw my first Broadway show, Les Miserables, at the age of 7. I was mesmerized by it all. I begged my mom to enroll me in acting class, which she did shortly after. I loved movies. My family used to make fun of me because I wouldn’t just watch a film once. I would watch it 4 or 5 times until I knew all the dialogue by heart. To this day I can still put on something I haven’t seen in years, and recite the lines pretty much word for word. And I love doing impressions! Steve Urkel from “Family Matters” was one of my favorites!

You have a background in dance and theater, which you went to college for! Talk a little bit about those passions? How has it contributed to your career now?

I began studying dance at 4 years old. I began with Tap and Jazz, then moved over into what ultimately became my favorite genre, Ballet. Dancing was my life in high school, and it didn’t leave much time for anything else. My teacher, Cynthia Griffenkranz of the McKenna School of Dance, was a huge influence for me. We did full length ballets such as Sleeping Beauty and Gisele, and I learned to act through the movement without using my voice. It was a great foundation. And I loved my pointe shoes!

I hold a B.A. in English Literature and Theatre Arts from Drew University in Madison, NJ. Musical Theater has always been a huge passion of mine.  I started studying voice at the age of 17, and did my first musical “Godspell” that same year at the F.M. Kirby Shakespeare Theater on our campus. I have performed in over 20 musicals since then spanning from “Ragtime” to “42nd Street”. I did a really great production of “Urinetown” choreographed by an original Broadway company member, which has over 120k views on YouTube!

That’s amazing! How did your college experience prepare you to work in the entertainment industry?

Drew’s Theatre Arts program has been ranked as one of the best in the nation. We took classes ranging from Intro to Acting and Directing, to Set Designing, to Playwriting. I even got to cast and stage a one act play that I wrote my senior year! We had many responsibilities such as, to attend every opening night performance to support our fellow majors, and also to be present following the closing night performance to strike the sets. My professors were all wonderful.

What have been your favorite acting jobs thus far? What have been your favorite roles to play?

My most favorite acting job thus far was playing Gwyneth van Zanten the icy murderess on CBS’ “The Good Wife”. Julianna Margulies and Josh Charles were so welcoming to me, and I even got to sit in the hair chair next to one of my favorite childhood stars Christina Ricci! My favorite theater role would have to be Magenta in “The Rocky Horror Show” simply because it was so against type for me!

Tell me a little bit about the process of being a working actor today?

The process is not an easy feat by any stretch. We are constantly pounding the pavement looking for our next job. Checking e-mails and casting sites such as Actors Access and Backstage becomes a daily routine. Be familiar with the projects filming in your city and know who is casting for them. Even if you do have an agent, it is very important to be doing the research yourself too.

Share some of your favorite moments on set?

My favorite and probably craziest set experience was actually one of my first set experiences! I was standing in for Jennifer Lawrence on “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” in Oakland, NJ. It was the coldest two days of the year and we started at 5 A.M. in the morning! If you watch one of the first scenes in the movie Katniss is sitting on the rock looking out over a lake. I had to do that for the rehearsal in 8 degree weather! My coat also physically caught fire on set! In spite of all that, it was an amazing experience to be there to witness some of the movie magic on such a popular blockbuster franchise!

You’re a member of SAG-AFTRA which is huge! How did you become a member of the union?

You know how at the Screen Actors Guild awards every year the A-list actors get asked how they got their SAG cards? Well, I don’t have one of those exciting stories! I was a member of AFTRA, which was an open union years ago. When SAG and AFTRA merged in 2012, I officially got my SAG card. It was the best day, and I am very proud to be a member of such a prestigious union.

How have your past jobs impacted your life?

I have been a commercial and lifestyle model for some years now. It has definitely helped me gain more of the confidence I need when I go into auditions. And yes, out of college I worked part-time in sales and PR for the Neiman Marcus Group and then went on to work for Posche. Both of those jobs really helped shape me into the individual that I am today and taught me a lot about the work force, as well as most of my people skills that I use on a day to day basis, whether it be at a job or a casting.

What are your personal favorite films and television series?

I equally love and hate this question when I am asked because there are so many! For films definitely “A League of Their Own” tops the list. I cry every time I watch it, even though there’s no crying in baseball! My favorite actress is Nicole Kidman.  She is brilliant as author Virginia Woolf in “The Hours”, for which she won her Oscar. I also adore Cate Blanchett and Meryl Streep. They are the chameleon actresses of Hollywood. With regards to television I am a big fan of Beverly Hills, 90210 and The Wonder Years. Currently, I love Showtime’s “The Affair”. It’s addicting!

Fantastic choices! What advice and tips could you give to aspiring actors like myself? If one truly wants to act in New York, can they find work? How do you suggest beginners get into it? Many people don’t know the process of getting auditions, submitting and obtaining an agent – but you know the inside scoop!

New York is at a record high for the amount of television shows filming here now! Don’t listen to people who say you HAVE to be in LA! LA is great, but New York has tons of opportunities as well. As an actor starting out it is important that you get yourself on tape. Student films are great provided you can get the footage, or even just recording 1-2 minute scenes against a backdrop reading with a friend off camera. Invest in good headshots with good lighting. Resumes should be clean and simple. Register and set up accounts with online casting agencies such as the aforementioned Actors Access, and also Casting Networks. Once you have done all this, then you can start the hunt for an agent. I recommend Backstage “Call Sheet”, which can be found in the Barnes & Noble magazine section. It is a guide to all the casting directors, agents, and managers in both NY and LA.

Kristen is represented by Metropolis Artists Agency and Aqua Model Management in NYC and Meredith Models East in New Jersey. For more on Kristen, check out her YouTube page.

Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside