free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Interview With Letters By Kelli

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

As many of you may have noticed, calligraphy is becoming extremely popular, especially on Instagram. We see it in stores like TJ Maxx and HomeGoods on their adorable journals, planners, and home décor. Luckily for me, I’ve had the opportunity to have a great friendship with a very talented calligrapher named Kelli Ferrara! Kelli runs her lettering business through platforms such as Instagram and Etsy and goes by the name of “Letters By Kelli”.

Kelli was kind enough to answer some questions about herself and her lettering business for HerCampus readers. Here’s how it went!

1)      Tell us some information about yourself.

Hey! My name is Kelli, and I am 25 years old. I reside in the borough of Queens, and although I appreciate the serenity of a great vacation outside of this state, New York is home. This year I graduated with a Dual Masters in Education, and fulfilled my life-long dream of becoming a teacher. I currently teach in Long Island City, NY for the Department of Education. I am a special education teacher for a self- contained high school classroom with students with the classification of Autism. I work with amazing people, and feel so fortunate to be able to work with individuals so special. Managing a full-time job and starting up a small business is not an easy task, however when both of your passions are a part of your life daily, this task doesn’t always seem so hard (but I have my days!). Of course, with the help of friends, family, and my boyfriend, I can escape from the chaos and compose my sanity (haha!). It is apparent what my hobby is, but if you didn’t know by now it’s to make letters, words, and phrases look pretty! Enough about me, if you’ve felt inspired, have any questions about lettering, or anything you read about today, please feel free to contact me via the email listed.

2)      When did you begin lettering, and how did you learn to do it?

About a year ago, I opened up Pinterest, and typed in “calligraphy.” Not knowing exactly what I was searching for, but trying to recreate pre-written alphabets. I slowly researched more and more each day. Eventually I began to follow hand lettering accounts on Instagram. Doing this was the greatest resource and learning tool that I could have encountered. After following accounts, I was able to watch tutorial videos, download lettering worksheets, and read about the best writing utensils to use for beginners. It is important to remember that your muscle memory will surprise you and if you continue to practice your hands will remember what your mind may not!

3)      What made you want to learn how to learn this art?

I’ve always had a love for handwriting, especially because my grandmother is an artist and my grandfather was a writer. Growing up, I was often exposed to different types of writing utensils, and little did I know I would use these exact types of writing utensils today. Throughout the years, many of my close friends and family would mention my love for pens in humor, I always was in the pen aisle when shopping, and could never have enough. With that being said, I eventually took interest into the world of hand lettering, and here I am today, still learning but with much more knowledge on the beautiful art.

4)      What types of pens do you use, and where do you usually buy them? Which one is your favorite?

There is an enormous about of writing utensils to use for many different styles of hand lettering. When I first started, I was following professionals, and spending a ton of money on pens and markers that work better when you have had more practice. Below is a picture of my favorite types of brush markers. First is the Tom Bow Dual Brush Pen. This pen has two sides, one a brush marker, and the other a simple thin point marker. I would recommend that you wait to purchase these until after you’ve had some practice, they can be a little challenging to use at first. Next, is the Artline Stix brand of brush markers. These became very popular after a viral video of them exposed their rare ombre effect. Then of course you will see Crayola, and YES… these are the Crayola Broad Tip Markers that we used in Elementary School! My greatest advice is if you are new to hand lettering, buy inexpensive tools like these first! They have the same effect as most brush markers and are much more affordable. This goes the same for Crayola SuperTips, that have the same effect just with a narrow tip, allowing for thinner brush strokes. Lastly, there is the Pentel Sign Brush Pen. This was the first brush pen that I ever purchased, and I had no idea how to use it! With a much smaller tip, it is a great choice for writing in a smaller size, and is a good choice to start with when you purchase a brush marker.

5)      What types of events have you lettered for?

Throughout this year I was fortunate enough to letter for numerous events for friends, family, and new customers. I have created table escort cards, table numbers, and invitations, and signage for weddings, baby showers, bridal showers, birthday parties, homes and offices. In addition, I hand letter cards for all occasions, and enjoy lettering on items for home décor. My absolute favorite orders are custom orders, simply because they teach me to step out of my comfort zone and work with customer’s ideas. Below you will see a few samples of these items.

6)      Where do you hope to take your company within the next couple of years?

Currently, my biggest business consists of creating custom orders. Although they truly are enjoyable I do hope that original pieces are sold in larger quantities. I create many digital pieces that can be downloaded instantly, and printed in any size or quantity. Digital downloads as such can be used for signage for events, prints to be framed, logos for your websites and more and I hope to get more exposure on these throughout the next year. My biggest dream is to someday open up my own store, to host workshops and sell custom and original pieces. I had a small glimpse into what this would feel like when becoming a vendor for the LIC Flea Market, and will be a vendor at the Atlas Part Holiday Market in Glendale, NY on good-old Black Friday!

Feel free to check out Kelli’s amazing work, you won’t regret it!

Instagram: @lettersbykelli

Etsy: Letters By Kelli

For business inquiries and questions, email: lettersbykelli@gmail.com

Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli