I’m Growing Out My Bangs and Here’s What I Have to Say About It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

A few years ago I decided to be bold and get a haircut to reflect my ambitious attitude and desire for a fresh start. I re-watched episodes of New Girl and 500 Days of Summer for inspiration from the goddess of blunt bangs herself, fringe icon Zooey Deschanel, and just went for it. I rocked the bangs for a few years, through the good and the bad – mostly the bad if we’re being honest here – but as with most things in life, all good things must come to an end.

I’ve been contemplating growing out my bangs for several months now but the fear of the “awkward length stage” of the process always made me reach for my clippers and give up on the impulse. But here we are, at the end of another changing season, another period of transition and so, now just felt like the right time to go for it.

I’m about three weeks into the process, and let me tell you it hasn’t been all that bad. People haven’t been confusing me with Anne Hathaway post-makeover in The Devil Wears Prada or any other brunette celebrity who has sported the fringe style and I can finally walk outside on a windy day without covering my forehead for dear life.

Growing out bangs is a process and it requires a certain amount of commitment, dedication, and hairspray. But, as with most things in life we can move forward with our ambitious pursuits and simply brush back the bad times, sweep them off to the side, and know that the awkward lengths won’t last forever.

Communication Arts and Dance student in NYC. Interests include the arts, The Office, and anything with sprinkles.