I Feel Like I Live At The Airport

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Do you travel a lot? If so, do you ever feel like you live at the airport? I do. I have been to the airport eight times this month and each time I arrive at the airport I think, “welcome home”. This is what living at the airport feels like.

1. The smell

It has a smell that is immediately recognizable and engulfs your nostrils. It’s not the worst smell in the world but it isn’t a smell I want engulfing my nostrils either. The smell also lingers a whole day after you have left the airport, which is not fun.

2. Going through security

Depending on the line, security can either be smooth or bumpy. It also depends on the security officers. If they are in a bad mood they pick on everyone and do a lot of random pat downs. I prefer the smooth option.

3. Searching for the Starbucks

I am a girl who needs coffee before a flight and I like Starbucks. Not Dunkin’ Donuts. Sometimes I have to have Dunkin’ because that is the only option. Those are the harder flights.

4. People watching while waiting for my flight

The people at the airport are always some of the most interesting people. I love seeing what people wear, what their carry-ons look like, how much food they get for their flight, etc. It’s a good time. Probably the best part besides leaving.

5. Last minute charging my phone

I drain my battery every time I head to the airport, so when I get there I need to charge it as much as I can until my flight. Sometimes I get lucky and the flight has a plug, but I fly Delta a lot and they don’t have those nice amenities.

6. Boarding

This is exciting. Getting on the plane. Squeezing through the aisle with your carry-ons. Hitting the already boarded passengers with your bag that’s too big because you over packed. Finally getting to your seat, shoving your bag in the overhead cabin space, and sitting in the cramped seat you get to stay in for the duration of your flight.

7. Landing

After I am happy we landed safe, I back out and sprint to baggage claim because I am over it.

I will never stop living at the airport because my love for travel has become a need in my life. The airport is just one of those things that has to suck. Activities that are just a series of safety precautions are never the best time of your life. I think I would like it more if I wasn’t always there alone, but you got to do what you got to do. Hopefully I will be heading home soon!

I'm not a girl. Not yet a woman. But to you I'm a woman!
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli