How To Wake Up Feeling Like A Girlboss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

The term “girlboss” is very popular these days, but what defines a girlboss? I believe it’s a term that has multiple definitions depending on who you ask. Personally, I would define a girlboss as a woman who’s on top of her game and determined to work hard to reach her goals — all while supporting those around her. Trying to go full force into “girlboss mode” can be hard to make into a daily practice, but the tips I’ve compiled today are simple things that I’ve started bringing into my daily routine that I feel have helped me not only become more productive throughout the day, but also feel better about myself — and hopefully they’ll help you too!

1. Make “To Do” Lists

This is one of the things that I started doing since coming to college that has completely changed my life. In making daily “To Do” lists, I feel like I am not only more organized, but I’m also more productive. What I started doing recently is color coding my lists and this has been really helpful in prioritizing what I need to do which leads to me checking more things off of my list. I also like to make my “To Do” lists every night before I go to bed, so when I wake up the next day I have an idea of what I need to get done. If you don’t already, I highly recommend making “To Do” lists, I promise it’ll make all the difference — plus it’s an excuse to buy a cute planner!

2. My Version of Meal Prepping

By meal prepping I don’t mean making a bunch of food all in one day so you have different meals every day of the week — unless that’s your thing, in which case you go girl! But personally, I don’t have the time or the space to cook several different meals all in one day. What I do is cook in bulk and (if possible) space out my cooking throughout the week. My version of meal prepping is, for example, when I’m making pasta for dinner instead of making half the box I make the whole box, that way I’ll have some for dinner that night and save the rest to eat throughout the week. This is great because when I get home from class, I don’t have to worry about making dinner — all I have to do is heat it up! If I do decide to cook throughout the week, I do the same. That way I’ll be able to have options without having to set aside a Sunday to do so.

3. Wake Up Earlier

I’m not really a morning person, but recently I’ve been waking up earlier than usual and have found out that when I wake up earlier, my days feel longer. I’ve started getting up a few hours before my classes actually start because I take forever to get ready in the morning. By waking up a bit earlier, I’m giving myself more time to get ready so I don’t have to rush to school. This also gives me some time to myself to relax, make some tea and breakfast, and look over my “To Do” list for what I have planned for the rest of my day.

4. Make Time for Your Skin Care Routine

Whenever I do my skincare routine — which consists of a cleanser, moisturizer, and the occasional face mask — I feel like it instantly puts me in a better mood. With all the homework and projects, it’s hard for me to fit my skincare routine in every single night, but I try my best and when I make the time to do it, I notice a big difference. Whenever I put on a face mask, even if I’m doing homework, I find that I instantly feel more put together and overall just feel better about myself. It’s a great way to wind down for the evening and your skin will feel refreshed and renewed in the morning!

5. Read Inspirational Quotes / Books

I’ve always loved inspirational quotes — I have a Pinterest board filled with them — but something that’s new to me is inspirational life advice books. I just recently got into a few and I need to add more to my collection! My favorites at the moment are: In The Company Of Women by Grace Bonney, You Are A Badass by Jen Sincero, #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso, and The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur. These four women are all so talented in their fields and they’re each so inspirational in their own ways. They’re the type of books where once you start reading you don’t want to put them down. I’ve absolutely loved reading them. If you haven’t already, I highly recommend checking them out!

6. Have Your Go-To Playlists

It’s safe to say that Spotify has become my new best friend. With so many playlists available — there’s one for any and every occasion — I’m always looking for new playlists to listen to. Lately I’ve been into their “study session” ones that really help me focus on my work. I love being able to put my earbuds in, block out any other noises that may be around me, and listen to calming songs that get me “in the zone” to study and get work done. I listen to these types of playlists even when I’m not doing school work, since they’re relaxing to listen to and make for a great start to my day.

I hope that you found these tips helpful and I inspired you to get into your girlboss mode! As I said earlier, everyone’s definition of a girlboss is different, but ultimately it’s about being the best version of yourself. As long as you’re happy and confident in yourself, that’s all that matters.

Olivia Marrone is a senior at Marymount Manhattan College, majoring in Business with a concentration in Fashion Marketing & minoring in Digital Journalism. Marrone's writing primarily focuses on fashion & lifestyle journalism, with concentrations in style inspiration, social media & life in New York City. Along with writing, she is also passionate about photography, fashion, art, & traveling. She is currently based in New York City.        
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli