This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

If you keep up with politics or are a fan of comedy, you are probably aware of the television show Saturday Night Live. This NBC sketch-comedy show has been running for over forty years. Their humor ranges from childish jokes about puppies in wigs to political satire criticizing our current administration. The cast is also full of comedy celebrities and soon-to-be stars, such as Tina Fey, Will Ferrell, Kate McKinnon, and Cecily Strong.

Ever since my senior year of high school, I have been a huge fan of SNL. I watched the new episode every Saturday night. I even have lines from my favorite sketches memorized from rewatching them on YouTube so often. Because I knew they filmed the show at Rockefeller Center in Manhattan, I was determined to see the show in person. But getting a spot in the audience is far more difficult than going on Ticketmaster and paying for the seat you want. It involves waiting in the excruciating long standby line and planning days (or even weeks) ahead!  Currently, I have gained tickets to the show twice since living in NYC. Here are some helpful tips for scoring tickets to this uniquely spectacular show.

Check the Saturday Night Live Schedule

Before you even plan on going to the famous 30 Rock building, check the SNL Instagram or Twitter to see who is the host and musical guest. You want to make sure the host is someone you care enough about to wait 10 hours in line for. Also, check to see how mainstream popular the host and musical guest are. Someone like Tina Fey and Taylor Swift will attract large crowds that start lining up multiple days beforehand.

Check the Weather

I believe this is the most important thing you can do while waiting in the standby line. Because you will be outside and exposed to the elements, you need to be prepared. Check the weather starting a week before Friday night. If it’s below 60 degrees, you will need extra layers, coats, and blankets. If it is raining, be sure to pack a tarp, multiple umbrellas, and change of clothes inside a waterproof bag. Being prepared for the ever-changing weather of New York can make or break your standby line experience.

Bring Lawn Chairs

While in the Standby line, you are not allowed to bring tents or mattresses. However, you are allowed lawn chairs. Not only do chairs give your body a break from standing, but it also stops you from sitting directly onto the concrete sidewalk for multiple hours. And trust me, no matter what position you lay in, the cement is not comfortable. If you can’t find or afford lawn chairs, a cheaper alternative is a yoga mat and sleeping bag. You will still have to lay on the sidewalk, but it adds some protection.

Have non-electronic activities

Being in line for multiple hours, you inevitably will encounter boredom. I recommend bringing phones with portable chargers and maybe a pair of headphones for the first few hours. However, with the lack of WiFi and the need to keep your phone’s full charge for emergencies, it is important to bring other activities to decrease the boredom. I recommend a deck of cards, adult coloring books, a novel, or homework. If you go in a group,  you can also play slumber party games such as Truth or Dare or Never Have I Ever to pass the time.

Go with friends or make new ones

Lastly, I recommend going with a group of friends. Whether it is a fun adventure with you and your besties or a group of acquaintances who all enjoy SNL, the standby line is a wonderful bonding experience. Together you will laugh the next morning when you recall sleep-derived jokes that were said and remember the obnoxious line neighbor who was talking the whole night.

Overall, Saturday Night Live is an exciting experience. Waiting hours in the Standby Line on Friday night is just as entertaining as seeing the show. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience that you will never forget.

Senior at Marymount Manhattan Living her dreams in New York City Loves writing, dancing, and exploring
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com