bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to Appreciate the Little Things in Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

It is so easy to get caught up in the stress of everyday life. Especially as a college student, I find I often get overwhelmed by my schedule. It’s hard to balance school, social life, and my own mental health. Being able to juggle all these aspects of life can be tough. Yet, I have to remind myself to take a step back and look at all the wonderful things life has to offer. It is all about attitude and perspective—  we can either let life get us down, or get up and face each day with our heads high. Moreover, I have found a variety of avenues in which I can clear my head and find appreciation for my life in small ways.

One of the first things I do when I am overwhelmed is call someone I love. Sometimes, you just need to hear a person’s voice or listen to how their day went to get out of your own head. I know that if I give my best friend a call back home, she and I will totally be able to just vent and let out our thoughts, and that is usually just what I need. It can also be really therapeutic to have a conversation with someone older than you to get their wise advice. I often pick up the phone and call my aunt, because she always seems to know what to say. So, whoever that person may be to you, reach out to them.

Another way I have found how to take a step back is by cleaning and organizing my own space. When my room is all cluttered, I think that is often the representation of my brain during that moment. My mind is all over the place, and if I want to start unwinding, I need to pick up my stuff, clean off my desk, and maybe make my bed. By doing this I am giving myself a fresh start, and sort of pressing a reset button. My stress levels usually go down without fail once I have taken the time to do this.

Self care is also a really important part of how we look at things. Taking time for yourself is a much-needed part of being able to function in other aspects of our lives. I think sometimes I can get a bit tense, and this shows when I am trying to get work done or socialize with others. A great way to solve this is by taking a long hot shower and settling in with a book. Or maybe you like to meditate, or even journal how you are feeling. Whatever it may be, find your most useful form of self care and make it a point to incorporate it into your life. In doing that, you might find how simple it can be to appreciate the time you spend around other people.

I hope you are able to see how special your life is — you are so beautiful and deserve to be happy! So, if you find yourself feeling a bit overwhelmed, try to find the good in everyday. Life is tough, but we have to remind ourselves of the simpler joys so we are better able to enjoy them.

Hi there! My name is Hailee, and I am currently a student at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. I hope you like my page!
Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.