Harry’s Debut Single Has Brought Him Back in Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Harry Styles is arguably the most famous member from One Direction. After Zayn Malik’s split from the band in 2015, he left four boys to continue their journey. After the four boys finished their tour without Zayn, they took a break from the boy band life in 2016. Their first year apart brought big things for each of the boys, Louis and Liam are fathers; Niall and Louis have their first solo projects released, and Liam is rumored to have a solo project in the works. Now it brings us to Harry Styles one year after One Direction’s hiatus, Styles released his solo debut single “Sign of the Times” from an album title that has not been confirmed yet. The promo for this song only started a week ago via Twitter. 

“SIGN OF THE TIMES” was co-written by Styles that shifts from a ballad intro into a pop rock anthem. This song is different than anything that he has done previously in One Direction because there were no quotas he had to meet, and Styles could be unapologetically himself.

The song begins with his powerhouse voice and lots of smooth melodies. Styles has been compared to “The New Bowie” because he has the vocals and the style of Bowie, as well as his amazing charisma. Styles shows his vocals in a new way than he was able to before where he was blending with four others, now he is able to have the spotlight and show the voice we always knew he had.

The single is going to be accompanied by a music video in the near future, pictures from the shoot have been circling online.

The concept of the video has not been released, but this picture shows that there could be many options of what this video could consist of. The ideas behind the video could mean a plethora of different video concepts and ideas.

When the single was released, Styles also released a two hour interview at BBC Radio 1 being interviewed by one of his closest friends, Nick Grimshaw. Grimshaw asked him lots of questions about his life post One Direction and the new single. The interview showed Styles in a much happier and more excited state of mind than he has been seen in the last few months.

“Sign of the Times” shows a new musical and emotional side to Harry Styles that his previous music from One Direction was not able to show. The song shows a more mature side of him and shows that he is ready to be a solo artist.