This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

*Spoiler Alert*

While Hocus Pocus is undoubtedly the Disney Halloween movie, you can’t forget the Cromwell’s this October. For all die-hard DCOM fans (that’s Disney Channel Original Movie for those who did not have a proper early 2000s childhood), the Halloweentown films are the epitome of what a DCOM series should be. They’re easy to watch, filled with corny yet meaningful moments, and overflowing with nostalgia. At the same time, the Halloweentown series satisfies all your spooky season needs without being terrifying.  

So, from my least to my most favorite film:

#4. Return to Halloweentown (2006)

It’s simple why this one is number four: Disney re-casted Marnie. This movie could have been spectacular, but it is hard to ignore that Sara Paxton took over Kimberly J. Brown’s role. Kimberly J. Brown was and is Marnie through and through. Paxton, however, erases the forthrightness and quirkiness of Marnie whilst replacing it with the stereotypical attitude of a teenage girl. It is understandable that Marnie could be feeling less sure of herself as she ventures into college and young adult life, but Witch University is portrayed like a typical DCOM high school. There is bullying, drama, and the quintessential mean girl squad. The plot also leaves me with SO many questions:

Did Marnie get accepted to college one day and leave for it the next? 

What happened to Marnie’s high school love interest, Cody?

Wendy seemed to be accepting of Marnie’s aspirations to carry on the family legacy in the third movie, why is she all of a sudden back to wanting Marnie to live like a mortal? 

Why doesn’t Marnie ask her mom what she knows about Splendora Cromwell or read about her specifically instead of the box? 

Why would Marnie question Splendora’s wish to destroy an obviously evil power?

Since Marnie traveled back in time to speak with Splendora, shouldn’t Aggie have already known what would happen while Marnie was at school? 

Why did Aggie never tell the family the true origins of Halloweentown when Marnie’s greatest endeavor is to carry on her family legacy?

Is Sophie’s training just an excuse so Marnie could not contact Aggie?

On that note, the storyline is dealing with Aggie’s past, but Debbie Reynolds is hardly in the film. Her storyline in the present disconnected from Marnie’s, and Aggie would probably feel so proud and relieved that the Gift has finally been destroyed. However, we will never know because she is not shown, and in the last scene, it does not even seem like it was destroyed which is very problematic since there was never another movie. 

Finally, the Marnie I know would have read the handbook. 

#3.Halloweentown (1998)

There is nothing more charming than seeing that giant pumpkin for the first time and hearing the main theme of the Halloweentown score which makes the movie dance in delight. Nevertheless, there is hardly anything more relatable than Marnie arguing with her mom in the opening scene and the blatant tension between Wendy and Grandma Aggie upon her arrival. Kimberly J. Brown is just adorable as Marnie: sassy, outspoken, adventurous, always looking for answers, and contrasted with her know-it-all brother and adorable little sister, the three siblings set up a truly dynamic trio. 

It is enchanting to see the family come together, a world of magic open, and a quirky and mawkishly nostalgic storyline created. In that regard, the first Halloweentown movie is incomparable. However, it is ranked as number three simply because the production value is not the greatest, and the storyline is not as rich as the later films. It is very corny, but that is what I love about it. 

#2. Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge (2001)

I love having Grandma Aggie in the mortal world encouraging the kids to be authentic and goofy and driving Gwen crazy. Marnie has a love interest for the first time, who turns out to be a greedy warlock, but most importantly… HOW CAN MARNIE BE SO STUPID TO TAKE A BOY SHE JUST MET INTO HER GRANDMOTHER’S ROOM? Sophie sensed something was off, but Marnie couldn’t?  He randomly also likes witchcraft and is interested? Come on, Marnie, jeez. Besides that, I love this movie because it maintains the same eccentric spirit as the original while the storyline and overall production value are significantly more developed. For a long time, I was stubborn that the first movie was better, but in Kalabar’s Revenge, we get to see the characters grow even more and become even more true to themselves which is, for lack of a better word, magical. Plus, the little magic fight Marnie and Kal have over the spell books at the end is like the DCOM version of Harry versus Voldemort in the graveyard in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire!

#1. Halloweentown High (2004)

This movie is number one for the opposite reason Halloweentown Returns is number four. Marnie is absolutely at her peak. She is using her voice to usher change and taking the lead in fulfilling the Cromwell legacy. Plus, we get to see Lucas Grabeel and Olyesa Rulin in the DCOM world before their High School Musical successes. Unlike the first two movies, Halloweentown High leads up to Halloween, so the plot is more involved but manages to exclude stereotypical high school drama. Instead, the story focuses on blending the two worlds, which creates a lovely ending where the humans and creatures of Halloweentown come together and accept each other. 

While I spent many words on Marnie in this review, I cannot emphasize enough that it is Debbie Reynolds’ performance as Aggie that makes this series so worth it. She is simply brilliant and unreservedly peerless. 

While my reviews and rankings of the Halloweentown films may seem harsh, it’s important that I make clear my unyielding love for all the films. To come across any of them on TV brings me joy, and they are unquestionably an essential part of the Halloween season! 

Allyson Peter

Marymount '21

Currently a senior communication arts major at Marymount Manhattan College. I am a dancer and advocate of sleeping in.
Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.