Grab A Cozy Sweater And Your iPod: 8 Songs For A Fall Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Sweater weather is better weather. Chilly nights, cute scarves, and of course Halloween, are just some of the things that makes fall the best season. While the weather changes, so should your playlist. Fall officially started September 23 and the urge to bring out apple cider, thick wool sweaters, and knee length boots has been strong ever since. With the days growing shorter and the air getting crispier, the perfect soundtrack is needed whether you are apple picking in Upstate New York, walking through the fall folliage in Central Park, or staying in with a good book.

Here are ten songs that are perfect for any fall day:

Autumn Leaves by Ed Sheeran: “Autumn Leaves” isn’t a new song that Ed dropped because of all of the PSL’s from Starbucks. This song is from the deluxe version of his debut album + that has Ed signature sound with his acoustic guitar and his melodic voice. “Autumn Leaves” has a way of evoking a nostalgic feeling of someone that you’ve missed and always matches the moody, gray skies that mostly present during the late fall months. Ed Sheeran’s voice makes the beat slow enough to slip anyone into a a much needed after nap and enjoy sipping on an Earl Grey Tea on the couch at home.

Jupiter Grayscale by Gallant : Gallant has a smooth sound that crosses between the alternative genre and R&B seamlessly. His high falsetto voice has the mind and body swaying back in forth while listening to the song. “Jupiter Grayscale” is a song that will have you screaming at the bartender, “Oh my God…this is my favorite song!” if you hear a band do a cover of it.

Spotless Mind by Jhene Aiko: “Spotless Mind” from Aiko’s album “Souled Out” is a song that is about change; and change and fall go hand-in-hand. Jhene Aiko has always revealed her soul through every song and this is no exception as she sings, “Shame on you for changing. No, no, no. Shame on me for staying the same.”

Coloring by Kevin Garnett Spotify is truly a gem, especially with their weekly updates for your own personal playlist called “Discover Weekly”. Garnett has a voice that was made to comfort the soul with hot tea, wool socks, and dreary Saturday afternoon.

Hardest Part by Laura Welsh ft. John Legend: We all know how amazing John Legend is at singing. His voice is like velvet that wraps around your body and we are all jealous that Chrissy Teigen has that all to herself. Laura Welsh, who had been featured on the Fifty Shades of Gray soundtrack knows how to make a song sensual enough without using explicit lyrics.  Both Laura Welsh and John Legend create a beautiful duet together that is perfect for the upcoming “cuffing season”.

Hotline Bling (Remix) by Charlie Puth and Kehlani (Marian Hill ft. Armani White Remix): Both Kehlani and Charlie Puth are relatively new artists that came into the music this summer. While Kehlani has a style that mimics the late Aaliyah with her style and dance, Charlie Puth has crossed over into the Pop charts with his songs “See You Again” which had been featured on “Furious 7” soundtrack and his single with Meghan Trainor, “Marvin Gaye”. The original song is amazing, but the remix that is added by Marion Hill and Armani White adds that extra oomph that was needed.

Extraordinary Love (Fall Version) by Stacy Barthe: This song became one of my favorites a few months ago when I first saw Beyond the Lights stream on Netflix. Stacy Barthe has a voice that resonates deeper with her own personal struggles, such as body image, rejection, and depression that carries over into the listener’s ears. This song is from her album BEcoming that she worked on for more than four years while battling depression and even overcoming suicide.

Arcadia by The Kite String Tangle: When I first heard this song Spotify recommended it through my Discover Weekly—something everyone should take advantage of—and I instantly fell in love. The Kite String Tangle differs a little bit from my usual music taste, but his deep voice is almost calming and has you wondering why this unknown Arcadia isn’t wearing his shirt anymore.

Alexzandria Parker, 20, an English and Journalism major at Marymount Manhattan College. Editorial/Public Relations intern at Aritzia. Member of a HeartRevolution in Soho. Can also be found dancing to the beat of her own drums on the 4, 5, and 6 trains every morning. 
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside