This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

It has been quite the ride for those who watched GIRLS on HBO. Viewers have seen the main character’s grow from girls with dreams, to girls who had dreams that kind of died, and now they are just going with the freaking flow. That’s right, going with the flow! Somehow these once neurotic characters have found decent paths for themselves, so congrats on realizing y’all are adults and should act like it!

Overall, the final season was kind of lackluster. It tied together lose strings but didn’t really do anything for me until the last three episodes. I am also not a big fan of the last episode. GIRLS prides itself on being ~somewhat~ honest, with the nudity, and humor and though that rang true in the last episode, it left me disappointed. I don’t exactly have any lingering questions because like I said, everyone kind of seems to have found a path but my first thought when the credits rolled were: “That’s it? All the crazy shit that has happened on this show and they left me with this next to normal send off?”

I don’t know what I was expecting, for Adam to bust through the door and profess his undying love for Hannah? Maybe, but that wouldn’t be realistic! PLUS they had an appropriate ending in “What Will We Do This Time About Adam?” (Which I cried over). I don’t know what else I could ask for, because in all honesty the final episode made me feel confident these characters would succeed and continue living OK lives—which is what you want to do when a show is ending-ending right? (This is a direct dig at Gilmore Girls.)

These girls are… women now. Shoshanna is getting married (which doesn’t make you a woman but please, let me recap) and was the wisest of all in “Goodbye Tour.” Jessa is… who tf knows what Jessa is doing, she dropped out of school because she wasn’t ready to help others, and I personally think that was smart. She needs to work on herself, and even though her relationship with Adam enrages me to my very core, she loves him, and I think that is a big deal for her. Marnie shows selflessness in the last episode which I admired. Hannah’s mom then told her it was important for her to find her own happiness and it sounded like Marnie was going to try and find that.

Then there is Hannah. The whole final episode revolves around her having a hard time being a new mother and her son not breastfeeding. This causes her own mother to come and try to help, but Hannah mouths off to her in frustration and storms out. She then has an altercation with a teenager on the street who has ran away from her house because her mother told her to do her homework. Hannah shows a maternal side by yelling at the teen girl and telling her that her mother just cares about her. Viewers can tell she is talking not only about how she will be to her son, but how her mother has been to her. The final scene is her son, Grover, finally taking her nipple, which leads us to believe things will be A-OK from then on.

Marymount Manhattan College 2017
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli