Freshman Dorm Room Tour & Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.
The summer before starting your freshman year of college is so stressful. All summer you think about how you’ll be decorating a prison cell-sized room. But don’t fret — here are three freshman residents living at Marymount Manhattan’s 55th Street Residence Hall who have acclimated to their new Midtown East apartments and decorated super cute.

1.What are your names and major?Ella Lapadula: Forensic PsychologyVaughn O’Connor: BA in Theatre arts with a concentration in theatre performanceKayla Ryan: English and World Literature with a concentration in publishing

2. How would you describe your dorm room style?Ella and Vaughn: Plants, ascetic, clean, and artsy
Kayla: Nerdy, ecliptic, and personalized 

3. Where did you get most of your dorm room stuff?Ella and Vaughn: From my bedroom at home, Urban Outfitters’s clearance section, Bed Bath  and Beyond, and Target 
Kayla: Homegoods and Target

4. What is your top three favorite things about your dorm room?Ella and Vaughn: Our plants, salt lamps, and christmas lightsKayla: My salt lamp/lights, my posters, and my books

5. What’s one thing you could change about your dorm room?
Ella and Vaughn: The windows from the outside could be cleaner.
Kayla: My desk area looks a little too cluttered.

6. If you had to get rid of three items in your dorm room, what would it be and why?
Ella and Vaughn: The desk chairs, because they’re scary and rocking chairs, which is unnecessary, the marks left on the walls by former residents, and the random partial extra walls in the room.
Kayla: The damn, weird corner wall because, it’s unnecessary and blocks off space where more storage could be kept, the dirty outside windows, and the small closet space.

Avara is currently a freshman at Marymount Manhattan College, originally from Maine. She is majoring in communication arts with a double minor in arts management and journalism. She has an unhealthy obsession with reality TV, pop culture, broadway musicals, and strawberry shakes.
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside