Former Disney Stars with Provocative Song Lyrics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Yes, you’ve read it correctly! Here are some former Disney stars whose singing careers have gotten a bit, you know, provocative!

Selena Gomez

Can I just say, I wasn’t really a fan of Selena when she broke out with Stars Dance but then she came out with Revival, and whoa. Just whoa.

“Come & Get It” I mean come on, if you can’t infer from the title of the song or the repeated hook, “when ya ready come and get it,” then you’re simply too young. Let’s not forget, “I’m not too shy to show I love you, I got no regrets.” Yeah, if she would’ve sung this on Disney’s label her show would’ve gotten boycotted by angry soccer moms. Rumor has it, the song was actually meant for Rihanna but she turned it down.

“Good For You”- I actually really like this song but only because Pandora never stopped playing it. Featuring A$AP Rocky, Selena sings, “Gonna wear that dress you like, skin tight/do my hair up real, real nice/and syncopate my skin to your heart beating.” I just had to look up “syncopate,” so if this doesn’t show that Selena matured then I don’t know what will.

Demi Lovato

“Body Say” This song is actually my inspiration for this article, so thanks Demi. All you really need to read is, “Speed it up, baby, make me sweat/Dreamland, take me there ‘cause I want your sex.” Thanks Demi, for waiting to sing this because if they would’ve cancelled Sonny With A Chance and stopped airing Camp Rock, I would’ve really been upset.

Miley Cyrus

We saw a little peak of liberated Miley from her 2009 TCA performance of “Can’t Be Tamed.” You know, the one where she danced on a pole? We didn’t really know which direction she’d take until her 2013 VMA performance. Then she came out with Bangerz which was her reintroduction to the world.

“FU” Again, this is one of those instances where the title says it all. “I got two, ooh ooh letters for you/one of them is F and the other one’s U.” Miley may have talked herself out of many scandals while she was on Disney, and yes, there were a lot, but I think Bangerz would’ve been the last straw. Then there would be no Hannah Montana reruns that some of us may or may not have stayed up late for.

Hilary Duff

“Sparks” When I heard this song I had no idea that this was Hilary Duff, it’s so catchy! The chorus goes like this, “turn the lights down low and kiss me in the dark/cause when you touch me baby I see sparks,” then she whistles, and it’s great. If Hilary was still on the Disney label like she was for her single, “Come Clean,” the world wouldn’t have heard this greatness.

Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, & Britney Spears

I forget all the time that all three of them started out on Disney. If you’ve never heard a song from any of them—which is impossible—then you know why they are on this list here. An example of a provacative song from each would be ”Toxic”, ”Genie in a Bottle”, and ”Cry Me a River”.

Nick Jonas

“Jealous” – In his new debut album, Last Year Was Complicated, “Jealous” was Nick’s lead single and this lyric is why; “’cause you’re too sexy, beautiful/and everyone wants a taste.” If you remember Nick like I do—curly hair, quiet, and a purity ring wearer—you can understand how taken aback I was. We’re not the only sexy ones now, Nick.                                                                   

Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli