#FlashbackFriday 12 Toys We Begged Our Parents For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

We all know 90’s kids had the best toys out there. No tablets, no smart phones.. just an innovative toy and a great imagination.  Take a road down memory lane and see all the beloved knickknacks that once filled your toy chest or rekindle the childhood grudge you had towards your parents for never getting you the “coolest toy ever.

1) Bop It

“Bop it, Pull it, Twist it” three phrases we grew up hearing after playing this highly addictive game.Level of want: 5 out of 5 – Every 90’s kid had to have this toy.

2) Tamagotchi

We all had our little virtual pet hanging from our pant loop, book bag, or key chain, and days were spent playing, feeding, and preventing it from dying.Level of want: 5 out of 5- The Tamagotchi pet’s prime was in the 90’s

3) Super Soakers

“It’s a water gun of a higher caliber.” Summers in the 90’s = kids everywhere with Super Soakers over their shoulders.Level of want: 4 out of 5

4) Sky Dancers

This was the Number 1 toy for girls. As the fairies flew into the air, we all sang along with the popular commercial, “Fly for me, Fly for me sky dancer dance for me.”Level of want: 5 out of 5

5) Nerf Guns

How awesome were Nerf guns? Even with their bright colors and foam bullets we were still able to create a war zone or play cops and robbers with friends and siblings.Level of want: 4 out of 5

6) Furby

Furby was the toy to have as a kid. The best memories were teaching it to say curse words and the joy you felt every time it would say the words you were forbidden to say. The saddest moments came when the batteries started to die, and this cute colorful bird started to sound like a demonic creature.Level of want: 5 out of 5

7) Easy Bake Oven

When every kid became a professional baker…Level of want: 4 out of 5

8) Moon Shoes

Probably why most kids in the 90’s had a broken ankle. These shoes fulfilled the dreams we all had.Level of want: 3 out of 5

9) Beanie Babies

No matter your age we all had a collection of beanie babies, they were cute and cuddly and they each came with their own little poem, what’s not to love!Level of want: 4 out of 5

10) Pokémon Cards

No matter where we went our stack of Pokémon cards were always in our back pockets, ready to duel. We’re still angry at those elementary school duelers who stole our most powerful cards.Level of want: 5 out of 5

11) Floam

A slimy product that we loved to use to create whatever our little hearts desired.Level of want: 2 out of 5

12) Talk Boy

We all pictured using these on crazy home invaders like Kevin from Home Alone; fortunately or unfortunately that dream never happened.Level of want: 4 out of 5

Writing has always been my passion. I am Netflix addict, a dog lover, and I'm a native New Yorker. I have had editorial internships and I like to take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself.
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside