Emily Everson, ’11

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Name: Emily Everson
Graduation Year: 2011
Current City of Residence: Clark, New Jersey

What was your experience like at MMC?
Wonderful! Unlike so many of my classmates, I actually commuted to Marymount from my home in Fanwood, NJ – first by train and three subways, and later by car. Studying in such a culturally diverse environment with professors who work professionally in one of the most competitive cities in the world was extremely important to me. 

The support and encouragement I received from all of my mentors at Marymount truly shaped me into a hardworking professional, equipped to tackle jobs spanning every communications medium. I was lucky enough to have an incredible advisor (Professor Corey Liberman) who encouraged me to purse a field that has allowed me to serve as a watchdog and advocate for a variety of communities across NJ. The comprehensive, individualized education I received at Marymount gave me the tools I needed to succeed professionally – it’s why I keep coming back to MMC to speak at admission events and encourage future students to come on board!

What clubs/activities/internships were you involved in while at Marymount?
I was a member of MMC’s choir and a features/creative writer for The Monitor. I also worked as a manager at a Game Stop in Watchung, NJ and spent a year as an intern at The Union County LocalSource, a regional newspaper where I also worked as a correspondent following graduation.

What is a favorite memory from your time at Marymount?
Taking journalism classes with Shahan Mufti and Steve Millioti – two veteran NYC journalists who provided top-notch training and ignited my passion for the industry. And of course – there was nothing like an immaculately-brewed iced coffee from Oren’s to brighten my day!

What are you up to now?
After graduating Magna cum laude, I worked as a journalist and editor-in-chief for online news platforms, magazines, and local newspapers across the state. In March, I made a huge leap forward in my career, becoming a Communications Specialist for the New Jersey State Senate. I handle a variety of public relations tasks for our State Senators, including writing speeches, press releases and editorials; professional photography, and social media management. My work for the Senate has been published by the New York Times, The Associated Press, and a variety of news outlets around the country. 

What advice do you have for current or prospective Marymount students?
Connect with a mentor. There are so many amazing professors at MMC who can guide you, help you find your passion and turn it into a career path. Network! Take advantage of every internship opportunity you can get your hands on! If you’re a commuter, please don’t feel like you have to intern at a big company in NYC. Often, the best internship experiences you can have are at smaller organizations close to home – you’ll often find that these opportunities offer more hands-on experiences that can help you build a portfolio while offering an inside look at the industry.

Pick One!
Ice cream or fro yo? Ice cream.
Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks? Dunkin Donuts.
Stay up late or wake up early? Stay up late.
Concerts or Broadway shows? Concerts – I’ve been to some show stoppers lately, notably Against Me!’s jaw-dropping punk show in NJ and Jimmy Eat World’s 10th Anniversary Futures tour in PA.
Walk or subway? Walk
Gossip Girl or Sex and the City? Sex and the City
Met or Moma? The Met.
Central Park or Washington Square? Central Park in autumn!
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside