David Levithan’s ‘Another Day’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

If you read David Levithan’s book Everyday you were probably excited to hear that there was a sequel, hoping for it to follow up the cliffhanger at the end of the first book. Unfortunately this is not what Another Day does.

Another Day is simply the same story from the perspective of A’s love interest Rhiannon. Everyday was an innovative look at gender and the self. For many, including myself, it was the first book to deal with a main character that has no gender.

A changes bodies everyday and thus is not a girl or a boy. They have a complicated understanding of gender and gender non-conformity. Rhiannon does not have this same understanding of gender. Multiple times she refers to A with he/his/him pronouns even when A has said that gender pronouns do not apply to them.

She is also strict in her feelings of attraction to A in a boy’s body, but not in a girl’s body. She is completely baffled when he shows up in the body of a trans boy, going so far as to refer to him as a “girl-boy” and expressing that she would have no interest in kissing him in this body. This is just plain transphobic. She is only attracted to A as a boy yet is not attracted to them in the body of a boy simply because that body was assigned female at birth.

It is clear from his other books that Levithan understands trans people and the complexity of gender so it is baffling why he allows this character to go around spouting ignorant stuff completely unchecked. As a non-binary person this book made me uncomfortable. This saddens me as a fan of Levithan’s but this book was far from his best and made me question him as an author overall. 

I'm a Senior at Marymount Manhattan College. I'm majoring in English and World Literatures with a minor in Gender and Sexuality Studies. I really like books.
Paige, originally from Nashville, TN, is currently a senior at Marymount Manhattan College majoring in Communication Arts with a minor in Journalism. Paige has held internships at two PR firms, Decider.com, MTV News, and has been a Contributing Writer for USA Today College. She is currently interning at Decider.com for a second time. Maroon 5, movie going, reading, cupcakes, Pinterest, and NYC are some of her favorite things. Contact her at paigegawley@hercampus.com or visit her website,www.paigegawley.com.