Court Blackman, ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Name:  Court Blackman

Hometown:  Matthews, NC

Major:  Communications minor: Gender and sexuality studies

On Campus Involvement:  Peer Leader, Secretary of CAB, Member of the GSS Advisory Board, Copy Editor of the Monitor, Member of the Social Justice Committee

Past Internships/Jobs: Tele-counselor in admissions, Lifeguard

What do you love about your Major?:  I love diverse the curriculum is within the Communications major. There are so many different types of classes that deal with various subjects: advertising, creative media production, public relations, and even perception. The education that a communication students receive is so diversified that they could really go into many different fields.

Best memory at MMC: I can’t specifically recall a favorite memory, but I absolutely love it when something that was discussed in one of my classes is brought up with other people in the real world or another class. Being able to see how the content I’m learning translates to real life events is really satisfying and reassures me that I made the college decision.

Fave Class You’ve Taken:  Survey of Film and Video with Peter Schaefer! I adore his teaching style and the content of the class is really intriguing. We learn the work that goes into making a movie rather than discussing the story. I’m enjoying learning about editing styles and post production.

Advice for freshman: SLEEP!

Faves

Movie:  Little Miss Sunshine

TV Show:  The Office, How to Get Away With Murder, and American Horror Story

Play:  Spring Awakening

Study Spot:  That back corner of the Library upper lever by the archives.

Song:  Gravity by Sara Bareilles

Snack:  mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce

Celebrity Crush:  John Krasinski and Naya Rivera

Website: Tumblr

Pick One!

Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt?  Ice cream

Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts?  Starbucks

Stay up late or wake up early?  Both

Yankees or Mets?  ???

Concerts or Broadway Shows?  Broadway

Union Square Park or Washington Square Park?  Union Square

Walk or Subway?  Walk

Gossip Girl or Sex & The City? Gossip Girl

Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside