This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

French fashion designer and style icon, Coco Chanel, left a legacy on top of her ultimate luxury brand ‘Chanel’ that still reigns as the epitome of high fashion. She was born Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel in 1883. She opened her first boutique in 1918 in the most fashionable district in Paris. By 1927 she owned five properties for her Chanel brand. She created the ‘boutique’ before it was an established thing. It was in these buildings that she sold clothing, hats and accessories. Later on down the road, she expanded and started offering jewelry and fragrances. Her Chanel No. 5. parfum is one of the most detailed and extraordinary fragrances, there are actually special flower fields that Chanel owns because the specific flower has to be used in the signature scent. Chanel is iconic for her handbags, tweed outfits, the jacket top, little black dress, among others. She is also credited for getting rid of the corset and liberating women while also popularizing casual and masculine wear as feminine wear. She was also the only fashion designer to be listed on Time magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people of the 20th century. Chanel is not only notable for her beautiful fashion pieces; but also for her energy, passion, determination, elegance, quick wit and intelligence. Her spirit lives on through Karl Lagerfeld, who is the head designer and creative director for Chanel. Coco Chanel was truly a genius, because all of her designs are still being worn today and everything she created is still in style currently and relevant to the world we live in now.

Everybody can learn from Chanel and the lessons she taught us, she truly make us better, smarter, well prepared, stylish people.

• “A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.”
  • “Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street. Fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening.”
  • “In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.”
  • “There are people who have money and people who are rich.”
  • “Fashion fades, only style remains the same.”
  • “A woman who doesn’t wear perfume, has no future.”
  • “Fashion is architecture, it is a matter of proportions.”
  • “Women have always been the strong ones of the world. The men are always seeking from women, a little pillow to put their heads down on. They are always longing for the mother who held them as infants.”
  • “The most courageous act is to think for yourself. Aloud.”
  • “Success is often achieved by those who don’t know that failure is inevitable.”
  • “Some people think luxury is the opposite of poverty. It is not. It is the opposite of vulgarity.”
  • “Hard times arouse an instinctive desire for authenticity.”
  • “Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury.”
  • “Look for the woman in the dress. If there is no woman, there is no dress.”
  • “I don’t do fashion. I am fashion.”
  • “There is no time for cut and dried monotony. There is time for work. And time for love. That leaves no other time.”
  • “Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.”
  • “A woman has the age she deserves.”
  • “My life didn’t please me, so I created my life.”
  • “A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.”
  • “You live but once; you might as well be amusing.”
  • “I don’t care what you think about me. I don’t think about you at all.”
Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Jessica Norton, 22, Communication Arts major / Journalism minor at Marymount Manhattan College in New York City. Pop Writer at MTV News. Creator and host of YouTube show of Camera By Her Side. Former Editorial intern at Us Weekly magazine, Features Entertainment & Lifestyles Intern at Seventeen Magazine, Assistant Team Advisor at NSLC Journalism, Film, and Media Arts, and Alloy Entertainment Digital Intern. I love yoga, traveling, pop culture, froyo, the beach, boy bands, bright colors, and lemonade. @jessnort || @camerabyherside