The Best Tacos On The Upper East Side

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

National Taco Day is this Wednesday, October 4th. So in celebration here are the top five best places to grab a taco on the Upper East Side!

DISCLAIMER: I AM VEGETARIAN, SO ALL THESE DELICIOUS TACOS CONTAIN NO MEAT, BUT ARE STILL AWESOME!

5. Chipotle

If you are lazy and basic, you go to Chipotle. Not saying it’s not good, but come on, we’re in New York City. There are better options.

4. Calexico

Calexico has the perfect Friday night dinner with your besties vibes, and great food to top it off. This is a place you go if you just got paid for babysitting. It’s a little pricey, but totally worth it. I opted for the at-home experience and tried out the EL VEGGIE: roasted mushrooms, fava beans, jalapeno pesto, toasted pumpkin seeds, cotija cheese. I drizzled with some extra hot sauce too! I wish I ordered three of these tacos they were so delicious! Mushrooms are one of my favorite things in this world, so this was a perfect option for me and also really fresh! Highly recommend!

3. Dos Caminos

This might technically be considered Midtown, but Dos Caminos has some of the best food around. Go here when your parents are in town. They miss you so much they’ll be willing tp spend a small fortune. These tacos are fancy and unlike anything you would find anywhere else. The VEGETALES will cost you $16.50, but come packed with roasted butternut squash, avocado, pinto beans, salsa verde cruda, queso fresco. This is the perfect fall taco. Plus, if you aren’t in the mood for a shell, you can get them “naked style” which is basically in bowl form. YUM!

2. Taco Cart on 69th & 2nd

You know when you walk by a food cart every day and you see people waiting in line, so you have to see for yourself if it’s actually good? Well I finally tried out the cart near me and mind blown! For $3 this veggie taco was out of this world. Fresh, simple, and super delicious. Made with corn tortillas and the perfect amount of cheese and guacamole, I will for sure be coming back to this cart for a quick lunch.

1. La Esquina (Corner Deli)

When La Esquina popped up on the corner right by campus, I couldn’t wait to check out it’s beautiful décor and authentic atmosphere. Prices are a little high, but the product is worth it! These are the most authentic tacos I have ever had and to have a spot so close to campus is really amazing!

Wherever you decide to celebrate National Taco Day, I hope the tacos are delicious and your bellies are full!

Hey I'm Hailey! I'm a freshman communication Arts major at Marymount Manhattan College. I'm hoping to either make a career out of writing for blogs, magazines, websites, or maybe even being a news or sports anchor. I'm also very passionate about dance so you can always find me in a class somewhere or just dancing around my apartment!
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli