Baseball Legend Derek Jeter Played Final Week At Yankee Stadium EVER

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Take Me Out To Those Ball Games! Lets Hear It For New York!

Last night the New York Yankees, along with its many fans and followers said “Farewell” to short stop and Captain Derek Jeter. A legendary baseball player and icon, Jeter just played his final week ever at Yankee Stadium. Jeter, the team’s captain since 2003, is regarded as a hero for New York and the world of baseball. Jeter’s final home game, on Thursday, September 24th, was celebrated with a 6-5 win against the Baltimore Orioles. Jeter’s twentieth and final season will conclude with games against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park.

The Yankees were established in 1901, are currently owned by Yankee Global Enterprises, and are controlled by the family of George Steinbrenner. In 2013, Forbes stated that The Yankees are the highest valued sports franchise in the United States (valued at $2.3 billion!) and the fourth in the world. The Yankees have won 27 World Series championships in total and Jeter is regarded as being as popular as Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle, past Yankees stars and legends.

Jeter was drafted straight out of high school in 1992 and debuted in major league baseball in 1995. He became the Yankees starting shortstop, even winning the ‘Rookie of the Year’ award. He then went on to play shortstop for the New York Yankees for twenty seasons. Jeter is a five-time World Series champion, with much of The Yankees success in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s attributed to him. Jeter currently holds the Yankees record of hits and is the all time MLB leader in hits by a shortstop. He has won multiple MVP awards, five Gold Glove awards, five Silver Slugger awards, two Hank Aaron awards, and a Roberto Clemente award. Jeter was also the 28th player to reach 3,000 hits in the MLB.

Fans eagerly cheered on Jeter during his last week at Yankee Stadium, with tickets selling out at rapid rates. Jeter is known for being humble and having professional qualities. His admirers span from children to the elderly, both males and females. He is a positive influence on those around him. He once stated, “Surround yourself with good people. People who are going to be honest with you and look out for your best interests.”

Aside from baseball Jeter has had many other successful endeavors including advertisements for: Gatorade, Nike, Ford, Visa, Gillette, XM Satellite Radio and many more. He even has a cologne, called Driven, with Avon.

The energy that surrounded Jeter’s last week at Yankee Stadium was overwhelming. People anticipated those games with such excitement. It was not just baseball games; it was witnessing a special moment in history. Jeter has said in the past, “When you put a lot of hard work into one goal, and you achieve it, that’s a really good feeling.” Everyone agrees that he has worked very hard and achieved his baseball goal, which is an accomplishment in itself.  New York, and the baseball community as a whole, salutes #2, Derek Jeter. The greatest shortstop to ever live. 

Katie Gray

Marymount

Katie Gray. Marymount Manhattan College. Double Major: Communications & Media Arts and Business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Double Minor: Journalism and Fashion Studies. Personal Website: www.xoxokatiegray.com Social Media: @xoxokatiegray
Paige, originally from Nashville, TN, is currently a senior at Marymount Manhattan College majoring in Communication Arts with a minor in Journalism. Paige has held internships at two PR firms, Decider.com, MTV News, and has been a Contributing Writer for USA Today College. She is currently interning at Decider.com for a second time. Maroon 5, movie going, reading, cupcakes, Pinterest, and NYC are some of her favorite things. Contact her at paigegawley@hercampus.com or visit her website,www.paigegawley.com.